Insert link/file link ready for testing!

Insert link/file link ready for testing!

by Janne Mikkonen -
Number of replies: 22
Insert link with possibility to link files is ready for testing.
(http://web.jaiko.fi/janne/moodle teacher:teacher)

I had to go little backwards with editors code (not the latest CVS version anymore) since I experienced quite a lot of weird error messages and behavior.

At the moment you can browse files and images in the Insert link popup, but you can't upload files yet.

- Janne -
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janne Mikkonen

Re: Insert link/file link ready for testing!

by Janne Mikkonen -
Few bug fixes and absolute links are back.

- Janne -

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Thanks Janne, just had a look at it.

BTW: it would be really cool, if it was possible when inserting links in the editor, to have the same options which are available when you're adding a web link resource, that is:

Allow the window to be resized
Allow the window to be scrolled
Show the directory links
Show the location bar
Show the menu bar
Show the toolbar
Show the status bar
Default window width (in pixels)
Default window height (in pixels)

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Janne Mikkonen -
Hi Przemyslaw.

I'll keep those in mind. I do not wish to rule anything out big grin.

- Janne -

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
Oh, and a question - what does the student's interface for "insert link" look like? Surely the students should not be able to browse the course files? When the Document Management is ready, there'll be no problem, but how have you solved it now?

by Janne Mikkonen -
Students have a blank screen instead of a Filebrowser. You need to be teacher to browse through course files.

I'll make account for stundent in the same place so we can try it out (student:student).

- Janne -

Edit:

I could also hide those selection, create folder and upload buttons from students?

I've also made so called bubblegum fix for Mozilla's stuck between modes (textmode:wysiwyg).  Good thing is that you don't get stuck anymore. Bad thing is that it don't set focus to editor automatically, you'll have to click the editing area to activate editor.

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
You're right, it's much better to hide the file browser from the students (both in "insert link" and in "insert image"). If they see it inactive, they will be wondering how to activate this. Basically I believe that if something is not available to a user, it should not be visible to him.

About the textmode:wysiwyg switching - it doesn't work for me sad (WinXP + Mozilla 1.6). If I switch to html and back to wysiwyg, the editor comes back, but it doesn't work properly - here are the symptoms:

• I can't type or edit any text in the editor field
  • I can't see the cursor
  • most editor buttons do not work
  • some buttons are highlighted in white (see screenshot) and cannot be un-highlighted
  • tables and smileys buttons work ok
  • insert link and insert image buttons open the dialogue windows, but the link/image cannot be inserted into the editor
Attachment editor.gif

by Janne Mikkonen -
Yep! Those are the symptoms that I'm trying to fix.

Did you clear your browser cache first?

- Janne -

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This code is now in the main CVS and on this site (as of yesterday, actually). It looks really nice!

I've made a few fixes but it needs lots of testing still.

I'm a little worried about all the browsing panes for students ... if you try it now in this course (as a student) you'll see the browsing and preview panes are still there, but because you are students here you can't see anything in them. 

Eventually, students WILL see their own files in there but for now is it confusing?  I'm not sure.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Janne Mikkonen -
I can make them disappear for students. And let's change them back when it's time for it.

- Janne -

It's done. Does not look very nice,  I mean huge popup and almost nothing in it smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Any chance of putting in the old small window for students? I'm guessing there could be a check made in the main htmlarea.php code that builds the menu ...

by Janne Mikkonen -
That's a great idea. I'll certainly try that smile.

by Janne Mikkonen -
Students have now original, smaller dialogs big grin. Try 'em out.
I'll put those in CVS.

Cheers, Janne
Average of ratings:Useful (1)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Huge relief - thanks! big grin You can try it out on this site.

Two more oddities:

When I control-V to paste now, I get a warning dialog from Mozilla that leads me to this page with instructions for new user preferences. This only started with the new editor though, I'm still using the same Mozilla 1.6 I've been using for ages ... any ideas? (IE is not affected by this).

The other oddity is the amount of "jumping around" the new bigger Insert dialogs do as the resize around the screen. Again, this is only in Mozilla ... the IE dialogs seem to be a lot calmer when they open.

by Janne Mikkonen -
Mozilla does not support automatically copy - paste functionality for security reasons. You'll need to edit preference files on your mozilla profile.

Old editors sizes were set in popup.js file and this new one uses resizeTo -functions in each popup dialog and this is causing a little extra "jumping". And there are lot more functions in these new popups. I can try to ease it up a little bit.

- Janne -

by Tim Allen -

Umm, something is wrong.  mixed  I can't find this browse feature in the beta 1.2, on this site, or in Janne's  RTE test site.

The insert image is working fine, but when I click "insert web link", all I get it is as in the attached image.

I am using Windows XP and IE6.

Please help, TIA, Tim.  smile                   

Attachment SP32-20040227-001931.gif
In reply to Tim Allen

by Janne Mikkonen -
Empty your browser cache and try again. In this site you'll do not have that browse feature since we're stundents at this course, but in test site you should be able to see it.

- Janne -

by Tim Allen -

Janne, thank you so much for that suggestion to empty the browser cache, it worked wonders!  big grin  I should have thought of that myself, although I had tried "shift-reload" which did'nt work.  So I emptied the cache via the tools menu which solved the problem.  shy

Thanks again and you're doing a great job with this ever improving editor!  approve

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Janne Mikkonen -
I really must thank you Tim.

Although some things seems to be obvious to us, it might not be to others. So its very good these things are discussed here and therefore will be helpfull to many others smile.

I surely hope some of these discussion contents will end up in the documentation, such might be called "Recommended browser setting".

by Christian Veillette -

The HTMLArea implementation in moodle is extremely well done.

Couple of little comments about the Insert Link feature:

1. Would be nice to be able to link to other courses/topics by just clicking thru a list.

2. How about a Remove link feature? The only way to remove a link is to go into the HTML code.

Best regards

Christian

In reply to Christian Veillette

by Janne Mikkonen -

Thanks for comments Cristian big grin.

1. Would be nice to be able to link to other courses/topics by just clicking thru a list.
And maybe list of discussions as well? How knows?

2. How about a Remove link feature? The only way to remove a link is to go into the HTML code.
This is a "must have" feature!

- Janne -

by D.I. von Briesen -
I'm not following... you CAN just make a resource and put in a bullet list of html links...
d.i.
In reply to D.I. von Briesen

by Christian Veillette -

I agree that you could just create a Resource and place your hyperlinks to other courses/discussion within it.

For users who know HTML and are happy to copy and paste URLs to create these links that is fine.

I am thinking about a way to streamline the creation of hyperlinks to other components of the site such as Courses/Topics/Discussion Forums etc. Rather than copy and paste URLs you would be able to select the Course/Topic/Discussion from the selector list.

Regards,

CV