Moodle project ideas that need YOUR input!

Moodle project ideas that need YOUR input!

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 32
Dear all:

Our team talked to our SFSU Computer Science department (http://cs.sfsu.edu). The CS department is interested to continue working with us so that some of their graduate students could help with Moodle projects and students could get course credits for their work. In the past this had led to some good results, such as the contribution from Dina for her Blackboard to Moodle Conversion Tool (http://welearn.sfsu.edu/ctt/), which I believe is still the best BB to Moodle conversion tool so far (although not perfect). I'm interested to collecting some project ideas from all of you so that these CS graduate students, who might be interested, could work on them and get course credits (e.g. senior final projects or master's thesis). Please email me or post your project ideas here so that I could compile a list and set priority based on popularity. Thanks! smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wen Hao Chuang

Re: Moodle project ideas that need YOUR input!

by N Hansen -
Here's an idea that popped into my head. This would be good for a student who also has an interest in history or the teaching of history. This would be to create a couple Moodle modules/add-ons that would be useful for history teachers. One could be a timeline maker. It would allow a teacher (or student) to input some dates and events and it would produce a timeline from them. Such a module also would possibly be useful beyond the teaching of history and could be used to create GANTT charts for projects etc. The second thing that would be nice would to be create a module for producing family trees (compatible with the GEDCOM format) useful in the teaching of history as well, but also could be used for science classes as well perhaps teaching genetics.

The reason I suggest something like this (besides I would use these tools) is that while there has been a lot of work done on tools for math teachers (a natural since math is so close to cs), little attention has been paid to tools for teachers of other subjects a bit further removed from cs. Working on a project like this would give students experience in putting their programming skills to work in a field outside that of their colleagues.
In reply to N Hansen

by Jan Dierckx -

That's a good idea and something that I would like to use as well.

The Simile project has a nice timeline widget. I have a feeling that this could be easily integrated as a preset template for the database module.

Have students / teachers enter begin dates and end dates for important events / movements in history together with a description and maybe other metadata. Then use JSON or xml (xml is already used to populate the rss templates for the database module) to populate the timeline template.

(Documentation is here and here)

I know there are some flash based ones as well... I am not sure if license is compatible with Moodle.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by David Hicks -
> I know there are some flash based ones as well... I am not sure if license
> is compatible with Moodle.

This is something that I'm currently working on - a Flash based timeline widget with source code is attached to this post. It reads data from an XML file to populate its timeline, which the user can then scroll through at varying speeds. Dates and times are squished into a small bar in the middle of the screen as I wanted to be able to use the rest of the screen for video clips and animations (that's the bit I've got to finish off - at the moment date item boxes are simply highlighted as the user gets to them).

I'm currently trying to sort out a "widget creator" framework for this and other similar widgets - a way to let users enter data into a form that is then saved as XML and used by a Flash (or DHTML, Java applet, etc) widget.
--
David Hicks
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by N Hansen -
Jan-That timeline thing is absolutely brilliant! Did you look at the dinosaur example? It's got all these little dinosaur images and then when you click on any event it brings up more info and another picture? Very very nice.

I have got to have this!big grin

It never ceases to amaze me what kinds of things one can do on the internet these days with little or no money. Things that five years ago we paid a lot of money to have built on a Web site I worked on are now things that anyone can do and do a lot better. We had this idea for a big timeline thing that got watered down due to lack of money to develop the interface and this thing does it better than what we even envisioned.
In reply to N Hansen

by David Hicks -
[N Hansen wrote:]
> That timeline thing is absolutely brilliant! Did you look at the dinosaur
> example? It's got all these little dinosaur images and then when you click on any
> event it brings up more info and another picture? Very very nice.

> I have got to have this!

New module to create timelines, using the Simile Timeline, now available - see this thread for details. Just a version 0.1 at the moment, I'm afraid - comments and suggestions very much appreciated.

--
David Hicks

by Carlos Romero -
As far I know, although you can download the grades of the students and use them in a spread sheet or so ever, there is no way in Moodle to upload the result of those computations. It is a simple task, but is a task demanded by many teachers of the university where I work for.

We think it may me achieved through the use of assignments. A module that uploads the grades to any existing assignments o creates a new assignment (offline assignment) to upload them.
In reply to Carlos Romero

by Michael Penney -
Hi Carlos, upload grades stably first requires a single place to put them (in the current Moodle the actual grades are scattered all about Moodle in the module's grades tables. In Gradebookplus2, we've implemented a grade table withing the gradebook, where graded events are stored. Now an upload function could populate this table with imported grades.

Jeff has posted some ideas about extending this functionality to a full central grades table, which could make uploading grades and choosing different weighting and display screens (if done with templates similar to Database) for those grades much more feasible.

by Matt Campbell -
Here are a few projects I'd like to see (just not sure how difficult they would be!)

1. Open Start Date - Basically a course format that would be similiar to the weeks format but without a set start date.  The system would recalculate assignments, quizzes, etc., based on when the student enrolls. 

Let's say I set up an 8 week course on January 1 and I set up all the activities to open and close on certain dates.  If a student comes in on February 1, all those dates would be changed relative to that entry date.  Same for a student coming in at any other time, as long as the course is open.  The point is that it wouldn't matter when you start the course - you have x weeks to finish it and Moodle would assign due dates for the activities accordingly.  May need a way for teachers to override a due date on an individual basis, in case the due date fell on a holiday or something along those lines.  Possibly some sort of page for teachers that would show where everyone is/should be in the course and the override could be done from that view.

2. IEP (Individual Education Plan) - Most K-12 educators here in the states probably know what this is, but I don't know if anyone else does anything along these lines.  Basically an interface where you can input information from an IEP (ie, student takes twice as long to complete the course so due dates for activities would be extended, time limits an quizzes (if applicable) would be doubled, etc.).  This information would then be applied to the course (or courses) automatically.

3. Student Status page - one page where an instructor (or the student themselves) can look at a student and see where that student is at in all of the courses that the instructor teaches.  The instructor wouldn't be able to see the status of other courses the student is enrolled in - just the ones they teach.  Kind of like the gradebook is for courses, but for a student instead. The capability to easily determine if the student is on track, ahead, or behind would be appreciated.  Probably as a tab on the user profile page.  This may be similiar to what was asked here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=52605

Just some thoughts.

Thanks,
Matt

In reply to Matt Campbell

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
3. Is the My Moodle feature

by anthony meagher -
Hi Matt,

I think  the first two ideas would be really useful. I've just raised the first one (well similar) ont the activity locking forum ... never sure where to post these things! Good name as well ... 'Open Start Date' .

Especially for independent students, the first mechanism, with locking of teaching material to a weekly release basis from <i>their<i> sign up date would be good.

The second approach is particularly useful for part-time (say night students) who often ask about getting some time leeway with their coursework due to family/work committments.

Any idea if the activity locking module could be adapted to this?

Thanks,
Anthony

by Thomas Haynes -
Matt...

I have just done a search looking for "IEP" and came across this post. It would be very nice if I were able to track modifications (extended time on tests, sits at front, etc.) in Moodle. 

There has to be some way to flag a username by course and make notes about the user that only teachers and admins can read.

Regards...   Tom

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Hao Chuang,

The Project Module (versions 1.4 - 1.6) has been built by student teams and we are always looking for more teams to develop its interface and features.  We would love if SFSU student engineers would like to take on a portion of the version 1.7 roadmap.  Here is the list of tasks and projects that are ready for work on for this fall (September through December).
  1. Publish Sub-module:  (planned but not yet implemented)
  • Auto-generation of a public webpage to display and search through projects
Course Blocks for community building:  (postponed from 1.6)
  • Best 10 Voted Projects,
  • Project Status Block
  • Best Projects from Last Year
Rearrangement of Tasks after initial setup
Student-created assessment criteria (currently teacher-designed)Integration with new 1.7 features (flexible roles especially)Repository of ProjectsInterface improvements
  • after user testing in September/October
Project topic selection--new voting feature
Security testing and proofingUser manual-feature list page I am coordinating this development effort along with Tom Robb and we are working heavily with Jussi of TAMK in Finland, and Brian of UMR in USA and their teams.  However, we are always welcoming new help.  We have extensive documentation built up and are in the process of setting up a merging system at Sourceforge to facilitate multiple teams working on the code.

by Jason Cole -
Hi Wen,

Glad to see the CS dept back in the Moodle game. Dina did some great work and some of the other students had promising starts. I still like Maria's gradebook (even if Michael Penny doesn't like the coding).

I've got two projects I think would be useful although we're not building them here at the OU:

1) Reading assingment: Since most students spend a lot of time reading, I think it would be useful to support them in this task. There are a few methodologies out there (SQ3R (http://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newISS_02.htm) for example) to help students actively read a chapter and create useful study materials for later.

An SQ3R module would be a combination of database module, quiz and maybe blog. A student would have a reading assignment, be asked a series of general questions for the survey. They would then be able to write their own questions for the Q stage. As they read the chapter, they answer their questions. This creates a bank of questions they can use in the Recall and Review stages.

What would be interesting is to then allow students to compare their Survey answers with other people, and take a quiz based on other students questions for review.

2) Case study builder: Again, a combination of tools. This would include a database preset combined with other tools (quiz, forum, wiki). The database would be preset to contain evidence for the case study, then the other tools would provide students with the ability to engage in the case study activity. It would be useful to be able to display the data and the current activity in the same page.

Jason

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Thanks all for your reply, I will get in touch with each one of you to sort out more on project management issues once we have those CS students signed up for these projects. Thanks again for all those wonderful ideas, really appreciate that! smile

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi Wen ( I hope it is your first name ) ,

a similar question was asked by Samuli last year. Let me reorganise and actualise some of my old posts here thoughtful

I take my chance to the SFSU power programming lotterywink

I think we need a versatile block or module that will ( in IMS terminology )
2.7 Reduce Content in Learning Path Based upon Learner Profile and do 2.10 Adaptive Learning Delivery .

We need also to don't overcomplexify the authoring process.

To address these two issues at same time, I have imagined and started to create and test a knowledge based material repository that will permit from simple authoring to generate a lesson with many branches that should deliver adaptive learning.

The knowledge is based on a modified ( 13 levels ) Bloom's Taxonomy.

The challenges are:
  • testing the correctness and completeness of the 13 knowledge levels
  • programming interlevel correspondance to support students when they will have problems with higher levels concepts the system will route them to a lower level auto-evaluation exercices until they mastered that level.
  • generating a socratic dialog  to support student.
  • choosing the most appropriate form(s) of the generated material:
  • choosing the most appropriate way to generate the material:
    • Moodle php module
    • outside Moodle stand alone application
    • modifying the Reload editor
    • Excel macro
Here are some posts illustrating my words: 1, 2, 3.

That kind of tool should differentiate Moodle from others LMS.

All others Moodle functionnalities must be available and untouched by that add-on.

I hope I got the winning ticketwink

If you find the idea interesting I will be pleased to elaborate more on it and even to support it developpement.

Thanks for the offer to the Moodle community and good luck with your projects,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by N Hansen -
I don't know if you are still looking for project ideas-but here is a really good one that would be very useful to many people.
In reply to N Hansen

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The idea was a shared bibliography module. These days the best way to do that would be as a preset to the database module.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by N Hansen -
The database module could be used for storing bibliography, but not for outputting it in a proper bibliographic style. Take a look at bibliographic/library software of any kind and see how it handles formatting of bibliographies. It's not a simple matter because there are different rules for different types of publications and exceptions depending on the presence or absence of a certain piece of information. You would need about 15-20 templates, each one dependent on what kind of reference it is, and each one supporting various exceptions.
In reply to N Hansen

by Tim Hunt -
Well, if database presets are not yet felexible enough to support a bibliography activity, then extending them to support it would be a good excercise.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mark Grimshaw -
It's not a bibliography module that's being discussed here but a citation module that can format citations within a block of text (in-text, footnote or endnote styles) in addition to appending a bibliography according to those citations.

by John Wolff -
Wen Hao,

It may be too late to make suggestions, but I would like the ability to add a tag cloud block for activities besides blogs--specifically discussion fora and wikis.  This will give all users an at-a-glance sense of how much material has been developed in key areas of a course, and can help students see where perhaps more effort is needed.

Thanks and good luck.

Re: ImportOOI

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
For a simple but useful project. High tec teachers may come to Moodle from BB, but there is even a larger group that comes to Moodle with their lesson summarized in an MS or OO presentations.  We do not make it easy to grab the content from these legacy programs.  

We currently have ImportPPT but it is trying to do too much (mixing objects and text correctly is hard), plus Microsoft is driving us nuts by changing its export web file folder content between all its versions. 

There are at least 3 options that come to mind. I would let OO translate the various versions of PPT.  How about an ImportOOI for lesson?  Or import a series of  image files (jpg,gif,etc) into a lesson that are from a zipfolder.  And/or import text from either a series of files or an MS or OO document in outline format  into a lesson.

My goal would be that a teacher can insert a series of imported pages at any point in the logical order of a lesson.  

Good Luck on any project(s) you select !

by Melissa Newman -

I am looking into using Moodle to store my son's homeschooling records, so my requests are related to that area:

• Keep attendance - track if a particulair student is present or absent.
  • Storing school year info (school vacation days, holidays, etc.)
  • Display a report card (Summary of grades for a term or year)
  • Display a transcript (Summary of grades for several grade levels, elementary, high school, etc.)
  • Skills check list for a student with date of accomplishment (optional start date).   These are not associated with a class, just a student.  The info is kept from year to year.
    • Math
      • Single digit addition
      • Double digit addition
      • Single digit subtraction
      • Double digit subtraction
      • Telling time hours
      • Telling time half hour
    • Reading
      • CVC
      • Beginning sounds (pl, tr, gr, etc.)
      • Ending sounds (nt, ing, etc.)
      • Middle vowel sounds
      • Dolch word list
      • compound words
  • Multiple categories for classes.  If the user adds another course called "Ancient Egypt" for 3rd grade, the system would automatically recognize that it is a different course and provide a different number.
    • Course: Ancient Egypt
    • Grade: 1st Grade
    • Subject: History
  • Auto generate short name descriptions based on a naming convention <<subject>>-<<grade / level>>-<<short name/number>>
  • Keywords for classes that show up in a master index:
    • Somebody wants to know when the child took or plans to take "Ancient Egypt".  This can be looked up in a master index.
    • Somebody wants to know what the child learned in 1st grade.  They can look up 1st grade in the master index.
  • Unit Studies (sub-classes)
    • In 1 st grade the student is learning "Ancient Egypt", "Modern Mexico", and "Early American History".  These three sub classes comprise the main class "history" for the "1st grade".  This info needs to be accessbile by looking up "history", "1st Grade", and/or "Ancient Egypt" (or one of the other units).
    • Then if the student takes more than one course in Ancient Egypt, they can look up this information in one viewing with 1st grade in one topic and 3rd grade in a second topic.  This would also allow "Ancient Egypt Art" to be in the view as well as "Bible Stories" to be in the view.
  • Student Glossary / Wiki (wikipedia) that the student keeps throughout their education (and possible life).  It should be a standard Media Wiki format.
  • Ability to mass upload a whole list of "vocabulary" into a student's personal Glossary / Wiki.  Basically I am following the Core Knowledge sequence.  There is a book called "The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: What every American Should Know". 
    • Add the knowledge words and assicate them with the student's record.  Over the course of the student's education, they will fill in these definitions and add additional ones as the student or the teacher desires. 
    • To know where the keyword came from.  (eg. Core Knowledge, Jewish Core Knowledge, State standards, teacher, or student). 
    • To classify the definition.  (eg. Abraham Lincoln would have the categories "America President" and "US History"). 
    • To mark which words the student should have completed during a course, so I can do a report of this info. 
  • Student Portfolio
    • For assignments / projects / tests, the child and/or teacher can mark that an item should be put into the working portfolio or the final portfolio.
    • Report cards and transcripts should be allowed to be added to the portfolio.
    • Have the ability to publish the portfolio to a web page and/or PDF.  Have the ability for the published portfolio to be able to be burned to CD or accessible as a web page.
    • For web page portfolio's there needs to be security to indicate who can view the portfolio (world, group, or specific individuals -- eg. mentor or school board offical).
    • Have the ability to have more than one portfolio. (working, final, submit to officals).
    • Portfolios can either be cumulative, by category / subject / keywords, or separated.
  • Second vote for history timeline feature, but there should be an option for it to be student associated and cumulative (not associated with a particulair course).
  • Student planner (eg. student will learn "ancient Egypt" in 1st grade and "Ancient Greece" in 2nd grade, etc.)
  • Ability to link standards / skills / cumulative knowledge with a course (or more than one course).  For example, learning to tie shoes would be associated with life skills in 1st grade.  Here is another example, many standards are age ranges.  They say something along the lines of "the student will accomplish such and such skills by the end of 3rd grade" and then they give a list.  The parent / teacher needs to somehow show / keep track that the student mastered these skills during those three grades.
  • Ability to import standards or skills.  These should be a published format for supplying the standards.  Maybe provide a way to store this information in a database instead of WORD or PDF files as is currently done.  Then provide a way that individuals can export / import this information.
  • Provide standards for textbook / workbook companies to publish their "lesson" and/or table of contents.  Users could then export these (to share with others) or import data provided by the book publisher.
  • If the company does a whole curriculum (eg. "Core Knowledge", "Amblerside Online", "Sonlight", "Tanglewood Eduction") that has book selections as well as recommended reading lists for multiple grades, there should be an easy way for them to create a datafile which an end user could automatically import to automatically create the courses, topics, lessons, and assignments.
  • A central database where users could share "courses" with lessons and assignments.  Either they could just submit them for free or a donation system, or a fee system.

That is all that I can think of at the current time.  Some of these items are irrelavent to adult education.

Melissa      

In reply to Melissa Newman

by Melissa Newman -

Cumulative Skill Record

A cumulative skill record can be kept for a student over several years.  For example, math.  This is a list of general skills that build upon themself.  It usually takes a person several courses/years to obtain all of these goals.  It would be nice to see a general overview of where the student is in these areas.

1. Simple Addition
  2. Simple Multiplication
  3. Long Multiplication
  4. Division
  5. Multiplying and Dividing with Decimals
  6. Fractions
  7. Computation with Fractions
  8. Percentages
  9. Negative Numbers
  10. Isolation of X
  11. Exponents and Square roots
  12. Ratio and proportions
  13. Find areas
  14. Rate, Time, and Distance
  15. Interest Rates
  16. Big Numbers
  17. Statistics
  18. Personal Finance
  19. Business Math

SQL Table - Skill Table

-------------------------------

ID Number

skill text

Long Desc text

SQL Table - Student Skill Table

------------------------------------

Student ID

Skill ID

Skill Rate Value

Skill Target Date (3rd grade, freshman high school)

SQL Table - Skill Rate Values

-----------------------------------

Skill Rate ID

Description (Skill mastered, working on skill, skill not started, future skill)

by Melissa Newman -

Knowledge, more than one way to look at

An example of this is art work.  Either a student could study an art work based on a genre (animals, landscape, modern art, portaits, etc) or they could look at an art work by artist (Piccaso, Monet, DaVinci, etc.).

These knowledge items may be studied more than once through different means, so knowledge builds upon knowledge.  Also, at a time in life when the student needs to mass study (eg. college entrance exams), there should be a logical way that they can review the knowledge that they have obtained.  They want to review in the following ways:

1. Grade Level
  2. Art work name
  3. Artist, all art works by the artist
  4. Genre, all art work in a genre.

by Melissa Newman -

Knowledge Build upon knowledge

History would be an example of this.  For example, in 1st grade a student studies ancient societies including world religions and Ancient Engypt, and Mesopotamia.  Then in 8th grade they study modern history including middle east history, the gulf wars, oil, arab / israeli history.  The knowledge that they learn in 8th grade builds upon the knowledge of world religions and basic biblical history that was learned in 1st grade.

The student should be able to refernce that knowledge by grade level or by topic or by specific items.

They should be allowed to edit past entries.  The knowledge that a student has in 8th grade is more advanced than what they knew in 1st grade, so they would most likely update the entries to reflect this more advanced knowledge.

by Melissa Newman -

Portfolio

• The student has the ability to customize completely the displaying of the data on the portfolio including layout and style.
  • Profile Data Variables
    • Student Name
    • Student Contact info (address, phone, email, web, parents)
    • Parent Name
    • Parent Contact info (address, phone, email)
    • Grade Level, public school
    • Grade level, Custom
  • Transcript / Report card Variables
    • Course Name
    • Course Teacher
    • Course Grade
    • Course Credits
    • Course Category (subject, elective, AP)
  • Overall header filename
  • Overall Footer filename
  • Course variables
    • Course name
    • Course number
    • Overall Grade
    • Individual Grades
    • Course description
    • Assignments (individual or as a whole block)
    • Tests (individual or as a whole block)
    • Projects (individual or as a whole block)
    • Any other course items (individual or as a whole block eg. Wiki page, forum pages, Glossary, etc.)
  • Blocks defintions ("blockname", "block code" or "block filename"), similair to the way that phpnuke implements it and przemo in the portal section.
  • Any number of files for the main section.
  • Have ability to format output like docbooks with "next page", "toc", "prev page", etc.
  • Ability to navigate by grade level.
  • Ability to navigate by subject
  • Ability to navigate by topic / index.
  • Ability to navigate by custom table of contents.
  • Ability to naviage to the same item through more than one table of contents (eg. "Core Knowledge", "State Standards", "Sonlight sequence")

Basically allow the student to strut their stuff.  Show off what they believe is their best work in whatever format that is and hide work that they don't feel is good enough for public display.

Also, by giving the student complete control over the layout display and style it truly makes the portfolio the student's work and not just a carbon copy of what everyone else is doing.

by Matt Oquist -
You're looking for more than a CMS; you're looking for a Student Information System (SIS) as well. That's what schools usually use to track attendance, grades, etc.

SchoolTool isn't ready yet or I'd recommend that to you; Web2School is a local SIS that gets rave reviews but they aren't (yet) Free Software. The Free Software offerings in the SIS space are unfortunately still quite thin, though especially since you're not a large district you can probably get along just fine with OpenAdmin or Centre if you're technically savvy.

by Melissa Newman -
Implement a template system similair to PHPBB's templates where the display of the code is completely separate from the processing of the data.

by Oleg Sychev -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

One nice and simple project is to create .djvu resource type in the Moodle.

Another one is to add quotation support to the forum module. The most effective quotation system was created in FIDOnet and shows it effectiveness on very large scale networks and forums (echo conferencions in the FIDO therminology) with several hundreds of daily posts.

When you reply to the message with quoting, system automaticaly quotate parent message adding first letters of its sender's first name and surname and > sign. Any existing quotations get additional > signs.

Original text, even level quotation (2,4,6) and noneven level quotations (1,3,5) will be shown in different colors (or some look italic for example).