blank screen when trying to access /moodle/admin

blank screen when trying to access /moodle/admin

by Dina M -
Number of replies: 25

I have gone through all the steps given on the instructions for installing moodle, but when I try to access the /admin page, I get nothing but a blank screen with a tiny picture of a hammer on it. 

Can anyone help?

Attachment hammer.gif
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dina M

Re: blank screen when trying to access /moodle/admin

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Well, that's a new one.  I have no idea.

Try renaming the admin folder to "moodleadmin", and changing the setting $CFG->admin in config.php to match.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mike Shields -

I have tried this as I have similar problems... It seems to work although I now get this message:

Bad $rs in GetInsertSQL. Connection or SQL invalid. Try using $connection->debug=true;

from the 1st Home -> GPL License Page... Next the Home -> Setting up database Is a SUCCESS.

When I click CONTINUE all I get is a blank screen, similar to http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5241.

Any ideas on what to try next ?

PS I am trying to instal moodle 1.2

In reply to Dina M

by Nicolas Martignoni -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I've exactly the same symptom. I think it's because I installed a recent version of the module Workshop in Moodle 1.1.1 installation.

I'm not sure though, because I also installed the module attendance to test it, and maybe this one is the culprit !
In reply to Dina M

by Rob Englebright -
I have a similar problem.
Having successfully tested moodle for months on a microsoft platform, I thought I'd be all clever and put it on a linux setup.
The result is at http://www.plumptononline.ac.uk
it's obviously doing something, no error, and a sort of minimal html in the source.... but I can't work out what I've NOT done...
I have followed the step by step, and the general install, and am at a total loss, though I have learnt a shed load about using Linux.
Any suggestions most welcome.
The FAQ "A" all blank seemed to be what I was looking for, but If I try to qualify the address to anything else it merely suggests try usr/moodle
I turned on phpinfo, and under dbx it says supported databases: Mysql.....
I don't want to go and put this server over to IIS, help!
In reply to Rob Englebright

by Gunther Dippe -
A tip: Check your database settings carefully.
If I remember correctly I also got the blank screen syndrome when Moodle couldn't find/connect to the database.

Cheers
In reply to Gunther Dippe

by Rob Englebright -

Thanks I will check.

Not sure what or how to check. the linux setup required a command line in the X terminal to spark up the database compared to the easy php web screen I'm used to.

Could it be anything to do with the sql service listing under services as mysqld rather than mysql?

can't be as I logged in mysql -u root

and was able to create a database.

by Gunther Dippe -
Check if the mysql deamon is running.
# ps -aux | grep mysql

Should show something like

mysql 772 0.0 2.2 15504 5756 ? S 2003 0:05 /usr/sbin/mysqld
mysql 778 0.0 2.2 15504 5756 ? S 2003 0:04 /usr/sbin/mysqld

In Moodle config.php

$CFG->dbtype = "mysql"; // mysql or postgres7 (for now)^M
$CFG->dbhost = "localhost"; // eg localhost or db.isp.com ^M
$CFG->dbname = "moodle"; // database name, eg moodle^M
$CFG->dbuser = "root"; // your database username^M
$CFG->dbpass = "a_valid_password"; // your database password^M

Maybe you haven't set a root password (not advisable). Then
$CFG->dbpass = "";

Cheers

by Rob Englebright -
get this:

root 2316 0.0 0.0 4184 4 ? S Feb11 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/safe_mysqld --defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf
mysql 2341 0.0 0.0 14016 24 ? S Feb11 0:00 [mysqld]
root 20183 0.0 0.4 3572 616 pts/0 S 09:48 0:00 grep mysql

not sure if that means its up or not... think I saw something somewhere about safe mode? I'll have another look, but I was sure the safe mode thing was disabled when I queried php

by Rob Englebright -
tried changing database user to root, no difference.
Could the firewall be blocking it somehow?
I seem to remember when i installed moodle about a year ago I had to turn off Zone Labs firewall to make things run ok. UI only have the default linux firewall at present... and realise announcing my firewall status on a web forum is dumb, but ....
I will try and report back

by Gunther Dippe -
Looks good!
MySQL is up and running...

Cheers

by Rob Englebright -
Ok so Mysql is running
I've checked the firewall wasn't hampering things.
PHP seems to be ok
but no moodle, just a blank page.... calling Martin moodle maker... any ideas... else I'll have to use IIS (Sob)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What sort of Linux is it?  Redhat?

Look in /var/log/httpd/error_log ... anything pertinent?

by Rob Englebright -

cheers chaps.

I'm running redhat 9

I'll check the logs, and go through the config again, but you know that feeling you get when you've looked 10 times, and you're beginning to doubt everything.

by Rob Englebright -
when the blank pages show, there are no error messages created.
I get errors if I try for wrong directories, and these show in the logs.
I'm not sure if the SIGTERM thing is releveant, I tried restarting the service, just to see if anything else happens.
I'm, guessing this is just the log of it shutting down.

[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18257 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18258 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18259 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18260 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18261 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18262 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18263 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:44 2004] [warn] child process 18264 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:57 2004] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:57 2004] [notice] Digest: done
[Fri Feb 13 15:51:58 2004] [notice] Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux) configured -- resuming normal operations
[Fri Feb 13 15:53:51 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /usr/moodle/admin/test
[Fri Feb 13 15:54:01 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /usr/moodle/test

by Gunther Dippe -
I checked http://www.plumptononline.ac.uk/moodle/
and get...
----
Access forbidden!

You don't have permission to access the requested directory. There is either no index document or the directory is read-protected.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster

Error 403

www.plumptononline.ac.uk
Fri 13 Feb 2004 17:51:07 GMT
Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)
---

Maybe you should try a fresh Moodle installation? From the above message, please make sure Apache has access to the moodle folder.

Cheers

by Gunther Dippe -
I did some testing and my version (CVS from two nights ago) reports the following when it cannot connect to the database.

Error: Moodle could not connect to the database.

It's possible the database itself is just not working at the moment.

The admin should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Database host: localhost
Database name: vle
Database user: user
---
But what generates a blank screen? I'm fumbling in the dark but is it maybe some of the paths in your config file that aren't correct?

Sorry that I only can give you suggestions and not actually tell you what your problem depends on sad

Is there anybody else who can give Rob some clues?

Cheers

by Rob Englebright -

just spent a little time checking the webserver works

it seems ok, it certainly serves up fish:

www.plumptononline.ac.uk/moodle/index.html

still stuck as to why moodle isn't a goer

by Gunther Dippe -
As far as I know there shouldn't be an 'index.html'-file in the moodle directory.

Could you please create a file named phpinfo.php

with the following content (no spaces in the beginning or in the end of the file)

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

and post the url to this file here.

Cheers

by Rob Englebright -

Tried fresh install of linux, and moodle.....no change...
the link to index.html was just to test whether apache was really working. I placed a learning object in the moodle directory, and it did work for me... though obviously not for you....

http://www.plumptononline.ac.uk/moodle/phpinfo.php is the php diagnostic, which loooks ok to me, mind you I wouldn't know if it was right or wrong....

by Martin Dougiamas -
There is no MySQL support in there ... make sure you install the php-mysql RPM.

by Rob Englebright -
good, I'll try that as I'd just about pinned it down to something like that by changing the db name which made not a jot of difference, but if I changed the type of db I got:
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: adodb_notmysql in /usr/moodle/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 3211
I've got no idea how to install a php-mysql RPM, beingba simple windows operator, but will do a quick web search.... downloaded the rpm, and trying to work out what to do with it...
cheers Martin

by Rob Englebright -
getting there
I downloaded the rpm into the root as php-4.2.2-8.0.5.src.rpm, renamed it as php.rpm
ran it:
[root@Colin root]# rpm -ivh /php.rpm
warning: /php.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
1:php ########################################### [100%]
[root@Colin root]#

restarted httpd and mysql.... and nothing.
Will the php-mysql support get listed on the http://www.plumptononline.ac.uk/phpinfo.php page as a seperate item? if it works....
feel like I'm finally getting somewhere...

by Martin Dougiamas -
You got the install command right, but the wrong RPM package.

php-mysql.rpm   (not php.rpm)

It's a separate RPM - it comes with Redhat (on your disks) but isn't installed by default.

by Rob Englebright -
that'll be why it didn't do anything then....
I will continue ....
Whhoooooah, disc in the drive, linux locks solid.... I'll try and find that rpm as a download.

by Rob Englebright -
root@Colin root]# rpm -ivh /php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.5.i386.rpm
warning: /php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.5.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
error: Failed dependencies:
php = 4.2.2-8.0.5 is needed by php-mysql-4.2.2-8.0.5
[root@Colin root]#

guess theres more to this than meets the eye....
the above suggests to me that I didn't get quite the right file, so the obvious thing to do is find it on the cd, however the cd crashes linux everytime I put it in the drive.....

checked the contents of cd3 on a windows machine and there is no php-mysql rpm there... closest is a php-odbc-4.2.2-17.i386.rpm.

I think maybe it's my installation of Linux that is a bit flakey here, and there's me believeing all these stories about linux servers never having to be reset of crashing ever.....

not sure what to do now. can't seem to install the rpm, I'm stuffed. Home to bed for a bit of kip, and look again in the morning.

well I decided to continue, upgraded php, which allowed the php-mysql to run, so now I actually have a real error...
Error: Moodle could not connect to the database.

It's possible the database itself is just not working at the moment.

The admin should also check that the database details have been correctly specified in config.php

Database host: localhost
Database name: moodle
Database user: moodleuser

I will check and let you know

Restarted Mysql again , and WE HAVE A WINNER!
thanks chaps, now I can get down to all the usual problems I'm more familair with!