by Bente Olsen -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I found this in the blog module:

Moodle: Blogs
"Themes
by Matthew Cannings - Thursday, 3 August 2006, 05:47 PM

Anyone in the world

"Today I have (...) (http://svc.sandwell.ac.uk). The college run two installs of moodle, one we call Virtual College for staff and student use as most colleges have and another called Virtual Staffroom staff only which is used as an intranet.
(...)"

http://moodle.org/blog/index.php?filtertype=site&filterselect=1&tagid=10

That's interesting! What could be the reason why he/they have chosen 2 installations?
I am working on an installation which is ment to contain both courses for students and courses (intranet) for staff. But I am still uncertain exatly how to do it (eg. course invisible?/staff as students? etc.)  And I am not sure if it is a good idea in the first place, will we be satisfied with Moodle as Intranet? What is your opinion?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Tony Wilmore -
I think the main reason for having a separate installation of Moodle to serve as a staff intranet is to ensure that only staff have access to it.

In a normal Moodle installation, because of its flexibility, all users (even staff) are potential students on any course. Equally, all users (even students) are potential teachers. If you want to use Moodle as a vehicle for staff communication and interaction, this flexibility might be a problem, because (as far as I know) the system is not able to discern which users are staff and which ones are students. One way around this problem, of course, is to give each staff 'course' an enrolment key, thus keeping out students, who will not have been given the key.

Another approach is to set up a separate installation of Moodle aimed specifically at staff. Using your organisation's centralised authentication system (such as LDAP/Active Directory, which is supported by Moodle), this separate installation of Moodle can be set up to only allow access to users who are designated as staff in the LDAP directory. This makes things much simpler, because there is now no need to protect all staff 'courses' with an enrolment key, because the system knows that all users are staff. Another advantage is that being a separate Moodle installation, it can have its own staff-focused character.

At my college, we've been using the above set-up for over a year and it has worked well. The Moodle-based staff intranet aims to make it easy for teams and individual staff to share information and online resources with fellow staff across the college. Staff can create, edit and update their own intranet sites focusing on whatever topic or set of resources they wish to share with other staff -- anything from training materials to social and recreational activities.

Note that we changed some of the standard Moodle words. 'Course' in Moodle was changed to 'intranet site' for the staff intranet. The word 'Teacher' in Moodle was changed to 'editor' for the intranet. 'Students' in Moodle became 'staff members' for the intranet. These word changes can be done by editing Moodle's language pack.
In reply to Tony Wilmore

Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Bente Olsen -
That all sounds reasonable. And, of course, teachers will be able to make course drafts that can be tested before implementation. But how will teachers move a course/a resource/an activity from one installation to the other, does that require SCORM? (I yet don't know SCORM, LAMS or IMS)

And what about the LDAP/Active Directory, can you integrate with 2 AD's? At my school teachers and administration are on separate domains, (the administration is on the town hall domain) so communication between them on computers are for the time being limited to mails.

About the Moodle terminology: I already have changed some, but couldn't find where to change the word for course, do I have to change it all places it occurs in the language.php's?
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Tony Wilmore -

>But how will teachers move a course/a resource/an activity from one installation to the other, does that require SCORM? (I yet don't know SCORM, LAMS or IMS)

Teachers can easily use Moodle's backup feature to backup a course. This will produce a zip file which can be imported into the other Moodle installation by using the restore feature.

>And what about the LDAP/Active Directory, can you integrate with 2 AD's? At my school teachers and administration are on separate domains

I don't know if this is possible (I'm not an expert in LDAP/Active Directory). As an alternative, you could use LDAP/Active Directory authentication for the teachers and for the administration staff, you can set them up manually using Moodle's 'add a new user' feature.

>About the Moodle terminology: I already have changed some, but couldn't find where to change the word for course, do I have to change it all places it occurs in the language.php's?

Yes. I seem to recall that the language file 'moodle.php' is where most of the changes are needed.

In reply to Tony Wilmore

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Bente Olsen -
Thanks a lot.
I assume it means that you have to download the zip-file and upload it to the other installation if you want to migrate courses/resources/activities?
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Samuli Karevaara -
Yes, the backups can be restored to another Moodle installation. With 1.6 the backups can be specified to contain certain resources only, so they can be used to move resources to other Moodle installations too.
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Bente Olsen -
And to add activities to an existing course?
In reply to Bente Olsen

Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Samuli Karevaara -
Yes, one restore option is "add the data to an existing course".
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by Bente Olsen -
Hm, I think I'm in for 2 installations smile
Thanks to all.
In reply to Tony Wilmore

Re: Ang: Re: Moodle as Intranet

by John Pictin -

Hi there.  Just saw your post about LDAP against 2 AD's.  Shouldn't be a problem.  We are a Novell shop and LDAP against 2 NDS trees.  In LDAP configuration, specify the separate contexts to search separated by a ";" as shown in the example.  The ability is there for the subcontext search, but we often search specific containers of objects so our search list is quite lenghty.  The response time is very quick.

John