Questionnaire module, anyone?

Questionnaire module, anyone?

by James Twing -
Number of replies: 10
Is there any interest in creating a questionnaire module?  One that would allow students to create, distribute, and track a web-based research project that could collect data from respondents and store/analyze it within Moodle?

I got to thinking about this while putting together a simple script and HTML survey page for a grad student--how cool would it be, to be able to do this directly within Moodle?  Not as a teacher, but as a resource for students to do their own research?

After thinking about it some more, here are my initial suggestions for features:

Questionnaire module for Moodle:

Students must be able to create questionnaires after the instructor adds that module to one or more blocks within a course.

Questionnaires (once complete and activated) must be accessible to non-logged in users.

Students must be able to add questions of various types to the questionnaire, set the labels (for option-choosing questions like multiple choice, etc.) and set the values returned for each chosen option.

Questionnaire results must be stored in a database table for surveys, keyed to the course ID and student ID, as well as each questionnaire having its own unique ID.

Students must be able to preview a questionnaire, as well as view any collected results, as well as return a downloadable CSV formatted results file. Potentially, questionnaire results may also be returned as a downloadable XML file.

Upon completing a questionnaire, individuals should be redirected to another page whose content (thanks, additional instructions, a peek at results, etc.) can be customized by the students.

Students who are working in groups must explicitly share access to their questionnaires. I.E., Student A sets up the questionnaire within his/her login (possibly with the offline assistance of other students or on their own), and then grants access to Students B and C by selecting their names from the list of participants. Students B and C now will be presented with the option to 'join' the open questionnaire launched from Student A's login. Joining an open questionnaire is programmatically equivalent (both in the database and in scripting) to having created the survey within the student's own login.  A table with questionnaire ids and 'owner' ids will map the multiple users to unique questionnaires.

Simple data analysis (mean, mode, and median, and possibly stdev) are a possibility.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Twing

Re: Questionnaire module, anyone?

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

This is something I have been thinking about as well. I have been trying to use the "Quiz" module to do this, and while it comes close, its not quite the right tool.

I have used this one: http://phpesp.sourceforge.net/ in the past, and managed to glue it to the side of an application. It may work with Moodle, if we spent the effort.

I really want to make sure its integrated correctly with Moodle. I really find it well worth the effort to keep everything together.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by W Page -

Hi!

phpESP is a super Survey/Questionnaire tool.  It has now been ported to postNUKE and phpNUKE.  I am not a developer but I added it to a phpNUKE site I am working on.  It probably can be ported to MOODLE as well.  

There is also Marketing Survey Tool located at,
http://www.surveyworld.org/download.php
Its developer has included a type of branching logic with an unlimited number of conditions for displaying in every type of block.

PHPSurveyor is also pretty cool and is located at,
http://phpsurveyor.sourceforge.net/
Its developer is very energetic.

Just two more Survey/Questionnaire tools to consider.  Both have mySLQ backends.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by kera mchugh -

fyi - i just picked up a copy of NaboPoll... http://www.nabocorp.com/nabopoll/

open source little script with web-based admin for multiple polls/surveys... i'm quite impressed so far.

i know zip about how one WOULD integrate anything into moodle, but this one can be embedded into your php pages with a little tag, it says - or you can customize the templates... so i suspect there's probably a way.

In reply to kera mchugh

by Mike Churchward -

Doing a quick review of these:

phpESP -
- self-contained survey system that can be included into a page with a PHP tag, or launched separately as a web page,
- has its own separate user database that doesn't need to be used; can't limit responses unless you use their database
- can display all questions on one page or across multiple pages
- fairly easy to use interface
- results can be displayed per user for short answers.
- results can be extracted in CSV files.

nabopoll -
- fairly easy to use and setup
- responses can be limited by IP or cookie
- surveys appear to be presented one question per page (looks like latest release allows one page surveys)
- results are displayed as statistics only

Marketing Survey Tool -
- has a great number of features to setup many question types
- can use external user databases
- has no results analysis; it only displays how many people took the survey - the rest is up to you

PHPSurveyor -
- not yet at release 1
- very good tool, similar to phpESP except that it also has conditional branches
- it uses internal tokens to control responses; unclear how easily that could be adapted to Moodle
- response display is good
- more features than phpESP and more complex (in a good way)

Have any of you actively use any of these at this point? My gut feel says that phpESP will be the easiest to hang on the side of Moodle, but I'm not sure.

mike

by W Page -

Hi Mike!

The fact that you took the time to check out the suggestions of non-programmer Moodlers reflects your seriousness regarding the development of this feature.  I agree with you that a more robust Questionairre is needed in MOODLE.

I also agree with your assesments about phpESP, PHPSurveyor and MSL.  All have positives and negatives.  I have "tested" but not used all three.  All are faily easy to intall but the "tried and true" one is phpESP which as I indicated above has been ported to other well know CMS programs.

I do not have any experience with nabopoll although I did check it out visually after it was posted.  I do not get the feeling however that it may be as robust an application which I think is necessary in a MOODLE environment.  For example, I did not see where or how it hands text responses.

The CVS export and inport feature is also a strong point for phpESP.  This feature would assist a Course instructor in determining how well students are responding to certain questions.  If students are not doing well with certain questions, an Instructor gets a better idea of what he/she may need to review with students or that the question should be presented differently (more clearly).   With the CVS feature analysis will be easier and more thorough.

My vote is also for phpESP, however, phpSurvey is a "less developed (in terms of development time) but tempting.  Also, I do not think phpSurvey has an export feature.  Will have to check on that.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by kera mchugh -

for what it's worth - an i'm by no stretch of the imagination a programmer - the nabopoll does in fact handle text answers... here's a sample of a live survey if you like:

(i apologize in advance if i'm not supposed to do this - there's no advertising on this survey - not even a logo)

http://www.optimizeinstitute.com/surveysays/vote.php?surv=1

and the results

http://www.optimizeinstitute.com/surveysays/result.php?survey=1

what i liked about it the script was ease of use - took only a couple minutes to install & run, and admin is pretty simple

In reply to kera mchugh

by W Page -

I stand corrected. blush

• Can you determine what responses are the associated with a specific participant via the Admin part of the script??
  • Are the results exportable to another format?

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Hans de Zwart -
I have just checked out PHPSurveyor (nothing to do with Moodle, but for a different project in my school) and was extremely impressed.

There definitely is an export function: to Word, Excel en to CSV. The interface is very neat. Worth a look for anybody in education looking for great open source (of which Moodle is still King!).

by Mike Churchward -

I've started to adapt phpESP as a Moodle module. So far, I've unhooked phpESP's user controls and adapted the create survey features. I will continue to get the edit and display features working.

The harder task will be dealing with phpESP's "active / test / edit" modes, and handling single user submissions.

mike