Backup from 1.4.3+ Restore in 1.6: Eloy, Eloy HELP!!

Backup from 1.4.3+ Restore in 1.6: Eloy, Eloy HELP!!

by Ger Tielemans -
Number of replies: 8

After surviving several attacks from our system administrators (see the forums) and having changed in Moodle everthing that is forbidden WITH EXCEPTION OF THE BACKUP SCRIPTS, I finally decided to upgrade from my dirty 1.4.3+ server to a clean 1.6 install.

So I make backups of our 1440 courses under 1.4.3+ and try to restore these in 1.6: quiz type is not recognized and if I try to restore to a temporary 1.5.3 server, the restore even fails...

Looking inside the nice XML-scripts of a quiz, created with 1.6 and the same questions in 1.4.3+ I see that there are new items like <parent>0</parent> but that will thanks to XML end in a default (I hope).

A real problem are hanges in the code like this one:

<QTYPE>2</QTYPE>

Into:

<QTYPE>shortanswer</QTYPE>

Now my question: Eloy, do you have a patch list of the storing format differences between 1.4.3+ (1.5.3) and the new 1.6?

Having the description of these differences, I could write a php-script to operate on the old 1.4.3+ XML and change it in 1.6 backup format ...

(Or do you have such a script already  smile)

And should I first upgrade the database of 1.6 or AFTER all the courses are restored? (Or can I run that script more then once?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: Backup from 1.4.3+ Restore in 1.6: Eloy, Eloy HELP!!

by Ger Tielemans -

Are there other people making these schema's?

I see this about pre 1.6 backups in the Moodle docs, but does not solve my problem:

1. Make a clean install of Moodle 1.5.x (the latest version available)
  2. Restore all your courses there (they should work if they were working originally)
  3. Upgrade your site to Moodle 1.6 and run the UTF-8 migration script
  4. Backup your courses again

by Ger Tielemans -
Workshop does also not survive a backup/restore from 1.4.3+ to 1.6
Resources, (empty) old wiki and assignments survive.

by Paolo Oprandi -
Yes, Josep and I have also failed backing up workshops in 1.6. I filed a bug report about it, and apparently worshops are no longer being supported.

See this discussion
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Ger Tielemans -

Workshop no longer supported? After loosing the prominent place for Journal we now loose the best soc. constr. part of Moodle? I think that Martin should change his intro:

The design and development of Moodle is NO LONGER guided by a particular philosophy of learning, a way of thinking that you may see referred to in shorthand as a "social constructionist pedagogy".... 

by Paolo Oprandi -
Well, yes, but perhaps we shouldn't bite the hand that feeds us wink.  I think a replacement module is underway - soooner rather than later we hope.
In reply to Paolo Oprandi

by Ger Tielemans -
Yes, how can we help Martin to get back on track?

By the way, is Moodle.com supporting workshop again or is it a volunteer?

I still think that Moodle.com must start a kind of clearinghouse for all these additions: the pages for the additions is a nice first step, but which are save, which are supported, which are  REAL part of the new core  (5 stars?)

Back to my problem:

In the meantime I reconstructed for all our courses the workshops from the ground. (Am I glad that hardly any teacher is using these Yet..)

I can now backup-restore the courses without the workshops, but how to  insert the missing quiz info afterwards (or do the change in the XML:-fileds of the backup file..)

I have to find a way to teach Moodle 1.6 which type a question (Including the subsettings!!) is after the restore:  the strange thing is that on the screen it reconstructs  the question correct (without the interactivity and the remark unknown

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Ger, you can't expect me to support everything anybody writes. smile

Ray Kingdon (workshop author) left, and the code is not very maintainable. Peter Sereinigg and his team are building a replacement (see Workshop forum).
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -

I found the new forum, thanks, gives hope. But it stays confusing that parts - before called to belong to the core distribution - turn out to be left on the road while the Moodle train goes on: workshop, also as described in the book of Cole, gave Moodle a real advantage over all the other VLE's, which were looking for ways to support peer review in a healthy, managable way.

Why not use the magazine to keep people compact informed about the latest news about the real core?

I thought on May 23 that I (finally) was well prepaired for our migration to 1.6:

• then came these last minute changes which broke several of my collected course formats: I tend to give them up now and live with the set of survivors: topic, collapsable topic, week, (all these with or without section zero), forum, project, dayview, cms, scorm (and someday maybe lams).
  • then the biggest surprise came: the naming in the XML-backup structure changed for workshop and quiz (I hope now these are the only two, arn't they?) and I can nowhere in the moodledocs find a description of the difference between 1.4.3+ and 1.6 xml-format.
    (So I could at least write an automatic patch for the quiz part of my 1440 courses during Backup....)
  • Can you help me with this piece of information:
    1. What are the tags of the question types in 143 and 16 (this I could figure out..)
    2. What are the possible and legal combinations of the sub-params for each setting (this is hard to do for me..)
    3. which question types are not transferable at all and have to be marked as "please, choose/write here another question type"