New bug tracker for Moodle.org

New bug tracker for Moodle.org

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 26
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Re-awakening this issue, it happens that the bug tracker being worked on for the Google Summer of Code project is not going to quite be all that we want it to be for tracking Moodle bugs (although it will still be a VERY useful module for a lot of other things).

So while that project continues apace, we can look fresh at a solution for Moodle developers to use, without being restrained by Moodle compatibility.  It obviously makes sense to try and piggy-back on an existing community.  Here are some of the major contenders in my opinion (all free for us):
I'd love to hear some pros and cons from those of you who've used any of these or others to help us come to some decision within the next couple of weeks. 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: New bug tracker for Moodle.org

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Those who have read my previous posts on this subject will know I am a Bugzilla fan. We use it here at the OU and it works well for us.

More tellingly, the Mozilla community use it, so we know it works for a large open source project, and has tools to support the kind of processes an open source project needs. For example driving releases. And many other people and projects around the world have chosen to use bugzilla, which can only add to our confidence in it.

It is not perfect. I tend to be very picky about the tools I use, and there are a few things I wish were slightly different, but the number of annoyances in Bugzilla is much lower than in most tools I use.

However, Bugzilla is the only bug database I know, so actually I am not much use to this discussion. I am sure bugzilla would be good enough for our needs, but I would be quite happy if someone who knows more can suggest something better.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If Bugzilla is picked, make sure anonymous bug reports are very easy to file. The default configuration for bugzilla is a nightmare in this area (IMHO). If you raise the bar to file a bug report, you may "loose" lots of them.

Just my 0.02 EUR.

Saludos. Iñaki.
In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Tim Hunt -
No. Never, ever allow people to file bugs annonymously angry If you file a bug in the quiz, you are making work for me. I don't want people doing that frivilously.

The kind of people who would file an annonymous bug report are exatly the people who will file useless reports, so you have to get back to them to ask for more details, so you need to know who they are.

With bug reports, we want quality, and we certainly don't want quantity.

(But we do want every genuine issue to be reported.)

End of rant.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Maybe our experience is just different, but I'd rather have all the issues reported than just a few, even if some of them are not genuine (whatever that means).

No reports is worse than non-genuine reports, at least IMHO.

Saludos. Iñaki.

by Tim Hunt -
Believe me, there is no shortage of quiz bug reports. Many of them of dubious quality.

Look at the Moodle bugtracker front page and see how rapidly the number of the most recently reported bug goes up.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ray Lawrence -
As a notifier and not a fixer of bugs I can't see any problem in needing to log in to register a bug. Plus this allows dialogue between the reporter and the developer which is invaluable for clarification and for communication of a resolution (hopefully). The latter really enhances the community aspect IMO, one really feels one is making a valid contribution and is encouraged to report again.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think identification is very important, even if for nothing else than stopping web-crawler spam.

It won't be obtrusive though, because this system will use the same accounts as moodle.org (just like docs.moodle.org does)

by Michael Champanis -
I've used Trac before for my own projects, and found it pretty close to perfect - it's subversion integration is really, really nice, reading a bug and then following a link to the relevant highlighted changeset is just *thumbs up*. It looks and behaves like a modern app, whilst Bugzilla has always looked clunky to me. But, Moodle uses CVS, and is by no means a small project, as all my projects were...

Basically, I think the main reason to use Trac is if you have a SVN repo, which we don't?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just to add one more alternative:
It's simple and covers everything we need at Uni in our small-medium projects. I don't know too much about the rest of contenders but this works too.

It uses PHP, ADOdb.... wink

Ciao smile

by David Delgado -
Current one works for me. It has many useful features. I would just take care of the admin settings (if any): everybody can do anything. And, if it is 4 years old, we should get some kind of update.

I just know a few commercial bug trackers, cannot even remember their names. Open source ones should be nice. Mozilla project works pretty nice.

Any chosen one should have for me:
  • Very easy user interface (make sure of this)
  • Powerful features
  • Anonymous participation
Just my 2 cents (Euro cents wink ).

by David Scotson -
From the perpective of someone reporting bugs to various projects I'd vote for Trac. Many other bug trackers seem like they were simply autogenerated from a set of database tables. Trac feels like they've actually paid attention to the user experience of reporting a bug.

I can only assume they've put the same effort in to the experience for developers as I've generally heard good things from people on the other side of the equation too.

(And surely a move to SVN is merely a matter of time?)
In reply to David Scotson

by Martin Dougiamas -
Not a certainty, when we move off CVS we might skip SVN and go to Git or something like that.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Jira is currently my favourite ... take a good look at it.  And it has plugin integration with CVS, SVN, etc

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I like CVSTrac, I noticed it first at http://cvstrac.pfsense.com/ (my favourite firewall distro). Unfortunately seems to be suitable for small projects only.

The only thing I do not like about Jira is the license.
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Dirk Herr-Hoyman -
For moodle.org, the license is free. Atalassian is offering is for free
to any documented Open Source projects.

My home IT shop does have licenses for JIRA, we've definitely felt it
was worth it. We had previously run something called Keystone from
2000-2003, that was a completely free PHP/MySQL offering, which
is now defunct.

by Dirk Herr-Hoyman -
I already said a few things that I like about JIRA. Here's some more...

Email integration with issue changes. This works similar to the Moodle
forums, you get in email a summary of the issue and a link that goes directly
to the web for the rest. You can set projects in JIRA such that the "leader"
will get email anytime something changes. Very smooth.

You can look at summary info on a project easily. There are predefined
views that show per version/release, per tool/feature. This is great for
a project lead.

The view showig the issues is configurable per person, this is remembered
from session to session. You can show just a subset of the attributed, say
title, date last modified, version, feature.

A dashboard is provided for individuals to look across all projects they are
a member in. This is configurable, with a number of "portlets" that can
be placed whereever you like.

A custom "filter", that's a query generator, lets you set up "views" of the issues.
I typically use this on an ad hoc basis, for some particular subset of issues I want,
and then I throw that filter away. You could use this for things like "All the
issues not resolved by someone on all projects".

by Tim Hunt -
Which version do Open Source projects get? Standard, Professional or Enterprise?

by Juliette Culver -
The LAMS folk use JIRA I think so might be worth checking with them how they've found it. I've heard lots of positive things about it from various sources, but haven't used it myself. 

by Dirk Herr-Hoyman -
I've had extensive experience with JIRA over the past 2 years.
This is for internal projects. I've really grown found of JIRA,
it's quite capable of being a 1st class bug tracker.
It also can work as a "feature request" tracker, driving the development
of a project, and if you like you can even use it for release notes.
Either way, JIRA is a 1st rate choice.

There's a fair amount of flexibility in JIRA, does allow for custom
issue types for example. Not really locked into anything here.

One place I've seen JIRA shine is in getting a subset of issues to focus
on. Being able to export out to Excel, if need be.

There is also some internal use of Trac. This hasn't taken off
like JIRA has.

Bugzilla didn't make our short list of candidates in our internal
use. I've looked at it in the past, it's ok but not as good as JIRA.

In reply to Dirk Herr-Hoyman

by M Y -
What about Mantis?

I have used it. Its very easy to setup, manage and use.

--Martin
In reply to M Y

Ang: Re: New bug tracker for Moodle.org

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Hi,

Yes, more about Mantis here

Even though it is used by my Typo3 community I can't say that it will be good for us here though smile

BR
Jens
In reply to Dirk Herr-Hoyman

by Jun Yamog -
I have used Jira for about 3 years.  I have also helped developing a few bug/issue trackers.  I must say when we used Jira for a project, its the bug/issue tracker to beat.

I think Jira is a good candidate if we are open to using a close source product.  The guy who decided to use Jira for the project simply told me, lets just pay them since we are not out to make the best bug tracker and we will be busy doing our real project.  And I can say after 3 years, he was correct.

Trac is also interesting especially if it can be made to work with git.

by Penny Leach -
I think the debian bug tracking system is aces. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debbugs/

I know that bugs can be closed by certain key phrases in the changelogs of packages, but I have no idea whether it'll integrate with a version control system.

The email interface to it is really nice, you can put processing commands in, up until a stop word (usually thanks) and everything below that gets appended to the bug log.

Also, when you report a bug, you send your email address, so it's very easy to request more info.

by Martín Langhoff -
Trac looks pretty smooth wink

I am happy to work with any of them. Assuming we'll customise it a bit, can we have the customised version on some kind of SCM repo so if a bug in it annoys me enough I can look into fixing it?

(Hey! it could be a good test case for GIT wink )