Backup does not start on time and takes longer and longer every day

Backup does not start on time and takes longer and longer every day

by Norbert Berger -
Number of replies: 5
I have ntoiced that since I upgraded to 1.6, my backups are behaving strangely. While the start time is set at 23.30, before the upgrade, the job used to be done at around 2 am. Now I get messages arriving later and later, without the site actually having grown substantially at all.
Yesterday's backup finished at 7 a.m. and today's at at 9.40 a.m. I am puzzled. Has anyone noticed similar behaviour?

Norbert
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Norbert Berger

Re: Backup does not start on time and takes longer and longer every day

by Rico Dredd -

Hi well you are not alone with that as backup has taken longer by a large amount and also started skipping some courses. Do not understand why it has done that as never 'skipped' a course before? Had no issues with old backup from 1.4 Moodle to last Moodle 1.5.4 just now with Moodle 1.6.

Rico

In reply to Rico Dredd

Re: Backup does not start on time and takes longer and longer every day

by C R -
does a new Cron backup job script exist to fix this issue?
In reply to Rico Dredd

Re: Course backup skipping courses

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rico,

Please note that from Moodle 1.6 onwards, course backups automatically skip courses which are unavailable to students.
In reply to Helen Foster

by John Isner -
Helen,
Is your statement true even if the course has been changed?  For example, if I'm actively working on a new course (which, for that reason, is not yet available to students), it will not get backed up?  Hmm  thoughtful
In reply to John Isner

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi John,

Apologies, I should have stated that course backups automatically skip courses which are unavailable to students AND have not been changed in the last month.

Thus, the new course that you're working on will get backed up.