How does Moodle forums compare with phpBB?

How does Moodle forums compare with phpBB?

by Pete Bridges -
Number of replies: 5
Hi all, very new to all this Moodling so I was hoping for some advice.

I'm used to using forums created using phpBB and it's very flexible. I've been tasked with creating a "knowledge zone" for our students and I've worked out quite nicely how to do this in phpBB, but we're all migrating soon to Moodle, so a couple of questions;

1. How different are Moodle forums compared with phpBB ones?
  2. Can you replace a Moodle forum with a phpBB one, and what are the implications? (I'm guessing if both are programmed in php then this problem is defeatable with enough work).
Thanks for your advice in advance. smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pete Bridges

Re: How does Moodle forums compare with phpBB?

by dave cormier -
wow...

It's a tough question. We moved away from phpbb due to spam issues a couple of years ago, and when invisionboard went pay-for we switched to moodle for our work.

The most important thing when considering the switch is to try not to see the moodle forums as a single entity. They are, by their nature, part of a greater whole, and a simple comparison of the features will, i think unfairly, prejudice you against the moodle forums. The tracking, for instance, can be done in various ways, not immediately apparent by looking at the forums in isolation.

The best thing to do if you'd like a precise comparison is post the things that you would like to be able to do and maybe we can explain how that would be accomplished with moodle. Some of the functionality might be better accomplished in the assignment module or somewhere else...

As for replacing the moodle forums with phpbb... it may be technically possible, and i leave room to be corrected by those here more knowledgeable... but i wouldn't consider it as an option.

good luck.
In reply to dave cormier

by Pete Bridges -
Ahh, that makes it clearer now. The reason we were going to use phpBB was for reasons of familiarity and because I had some ideas for new uses for old features. If integrating phpBB into Moodle is too difficult then this affects some decisions that the directors must make.

To give an overview of what we were going to do (albeit in a very rough example) is use the usergroups for the courses, have sticky threads at the top for course info, file downloads etc and have the tutors as moderators and one overall forum admin person. Can the forums have quick-links in them somehow that's easy to see and use?

Thanks again for the quick reply! smile

Pete
In reply to Pete Bridges

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Pete,

1.  The main difference in Moodle forums from phpBB forums is that Moodle allows you to split up your forums and place forums here and there according to topic or according to week.  In a sense, phpBB is tool-centred while Moodle is topic or task-centred.  So visually, students see a topic with various activities (including forum), rather than go to a forum area.  As far as features go, phpBB has some nice features you will not see in Moodle (sticky postings, assigned moderators, poll/forums,  highlight-and-reply, merge).  Moodle forums also have some special features (activity report integration with posting count, word count)

2.  No, I doubt you can easily move a  phpBB forum  into Moodle, because the structure is so different.  A good programmer might make a migration tool,  but that would take a lot of work.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Pete Bridges -
I see your point. Moodle is best for what we're doing although some features in phpBB would be very handy.

And knowing my bosses, they'll suggest I be the one to write that migration tool you mentioned. ;)
In reply to Pete Bridges

by Richard Treves -
A point worth making is that (as I understand it) the UK Open Uni is currently migrating to Moodle but keeping its firstclass forum system and tying them together, similar to integrating Moodle and Phpbb but more difficult.

I'd suggest that if you really would miss some of the phpbb functionality you should consider trying to improve the moodle forums rather than battle a massive integration task.  Its an option.

Just my 2p worth

Rich