This release includes over a year (!) of new features developed by the community of Moodle developers, as well as countless bug fixes and a lot of restructuring under the hood.
For full information see the Moodle 1.6 release notes - some of the major highlights include:
- 100% Unicode support - all 70 existing languages are now compatible and can be mixed wherever you like.
- New documentation wiki - a one-stop shop for all documentation, integrated from within each page of Moodle itself.
- Database module - a new activity module for collaborative collection and display of arbitrary data
- Blogs - finally Moodle has blogs for ongoing personal reflections, viewable by course, by group, by individual etc
- New reports - plug-in reports enable you to create and share new report types. New statistics reports are included in Moodle 1.6.
- Questions - quiz question types are now a centralised structure so any module will be able to use them in future.
- LAMS - a new activity module and course format allow LAMS to be easily integrated with Moodle if you need to
- My Moodle - a new customizable dashboard page with an overview of all your own courses and what is new
- Hive integration - Moodle can be closely integrated with Hive, a leading object repository, with single-sign-on etc.
- Multiple groups - users can be part of any number of groups in a course
- IMS content packages - can now be loaded as resources
- New Chameleon theme - can be customised in your browser on the fly!
- Granularised backup - allows you to backup only selected activities
- Multi Enrolments - use any number of Moodle's enrolment methods at once, including the new IMS Enterprise methods
We're really looking forward to 1.7 now!