Document Vault

Document Vault

by Aidan Hammond -
Number of replies: 7
on our previous VLE we setup a folder where any member of staff could add documents to a folder which we named "common files" the idea was that teachers could share resources... this proved useful in situations where (for example) people on a course had to use excel to produce graphs - all the teacher had to do was link some excel tutorials writting by the it department into their course and the students would have access to the resources.

The idea is that staff can see and have access to this area of the site, but students wouldn't know it existed.

Does anything exist in moodle already, or does anyone know of a college which has made a work around for this solution?

Many thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aidan Hammond

Re: Document Vault

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

How I handle this is by creating a course that I refer to as a teacher repository in which a group of teachers are enrolled as teachers. If they create a resource or have a file they would like to share they add it to the teacher repository. The other teachers can then see the shared material and import what they want into their course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Art Lader -
Anthony is right. That's a good way to go.

If a group of math teachers, for example, created resources in a "math vault" course, then the teachers at the school could easily import those resources into their own courses at any time. Or is that not what you are looking for?

If you allow files to be uploaded, you could use a wiki as a virtual hard drive for each student. That would work well, I think.

-- Art

Attachment import.gif
In reply to Art Lader

by Luís Miguel Corbella -
Hi Art.

I think the idea you tell It´s the best way to use the funcionatilys of Moodle. wink

But actually this situation requieres the use of the (I think on English in called Vault), "Dockeos Vault". It´s the way to bring to Moodle one module that can share files,but more potencial than resources.
This module can allow to teaches to share some files to all of their courses, where he/she are a teacher. Or to another teacher, or all teachers... Also one teacher can put Vault module, on a course and can permit to every students to have their own Vault.
(Teacher can put a limit of capacity...)

And every person can access to every the files from one Vault, independly in want Vault their are...

Well actualy (Dockeos Vault havent so many functionalities as I mention). wink

Time ago I my teacher were thinking abuit this.
I expect that M Moodlers dou that. I´ts an idea.wink
In reply to Art Lader

by Aidan Hammond -
when I try to import, It ends up importing all files from the course?

I'd only want to link to one or two files from the shared material folder...

any comments / ideas?

Many thanks.
In reply to Aidan Hammond

by Luís Miguel Corbella -

Hi Aidan Hammond.  wink

I think if you are looking a new idea for module I´ts one of the bests.

Maybe you can see the Dockeos Vault.Another K.M.S like Moodle, It´s from the family of Caroline.

Moodle have not this type of module. (Vault)!!!

I think you can see this "module" of Dockeos, and you can take some ideas. Due to the fact that you can do a module that can allow to all students to have a virtual Hdd, (each student can have their own Vault).

And in this module they can have acces to archives from teachers. (If a thearcher wants). And also one student can sent files to Vaut of a friend...

It´s like to do a MyMoodle.

See dockeos and you can understand me.

See you. And good lucky for your module. approve

In reply to Luís Miguel Corbella

by Aidan Hammond -
where can i find dockeos vault?

I am interested to hear any opinions on how to overcome this issue... as i said in a previous post, when i do an import it simply lets me import everything from another course. I could have 1000s of documents for a section, I'd rather just allow a link to a single document...

Any ideas welcome smile

Aidan.