How secure is Moodle?

How secure is Moodle?

by Just H -
Number of replies: 7
Hi all

I am trying to get a portal set up (using Moodle for various reasons) for collaboration between numerous emergency management agencies (i.e. police, fire, ambulance, anti-terrorism, government departments etc.). Understandably, given the nature of potential information posted, I keep getting asked about security e.g. "Is it as secure as Lotus/IBM/Microsoft".

I've had a hunt around but can't find much in the forums. Is there any hard facts on security comparisons between Moodle and other proprietary software?

Thanks in advance for any information/pointers smile

Harry
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Just H

Re: How secure is Moodle?

by Just H -
Sorry to bump this but I would really appreciate some pointers to any specific Moodle v Proprietary security info smile

Regards
H
In reply to Just H

by Michael Penney -
IMO, the question is perhaps too broad to be answered as asked. Are you looking for the published results of third party security audits? Do the other candidate applications have published 3rd party audits?

As far as Moodle's security, you can enforce password complexity and expiration if you use LDAP for authentication, for instance, and you can deliver Moodle via SSL.

Those two features make Moodle much more secure then any system that lacks them (any system that contains user information and does not support SSL is not even close to secure).

A third thing Moodle has over most proprietary systems is that the code can be reviewed for security issues.

If you can't review the full source code of a system, then any security review you do is going to be based on what the vendor tells you, not on the actual source code. Depending on the vendor, these promises may not be made by the developers, but by other departments who may not even know what language the system is written in.

Since even the best developers are prone to missing problems in their own work, I'm not trying to imply that the security of a closed source app. may be inflated for marketing purposes, rather that 3rd party code review is a basic principle of security*. Of course Moodle has this to a great extent, as it is open source, anyone can look over the code, and many have. This may be even better than a single sourced 3rd party audit, as many expert eyes from various places have looked at the code.

Of course a very large part of security is based on local conditions: how your server is setup, managed, and monitored. One could load a very secure application on a insecurely setup server, for instance. I would say the standard Moodle installation with default settings, set up to use SSL for all pages, no shell, ftp or sftp access, and using LDAP authentication with enforced password complexity (at least 8 chars with a number, special character, and no dictionary words allowed), and expiration of passwords monthly, is a very secure application. More security could be found by expiring passwords weekly or daily, enforcing complex passwords, locking down PHP using open_basedir, using an enterprise server OS such as RHEL or SuseEnterprise with all the patches applied, using server monitoring software to actively report suspicious activity**, etc.

And if the stakes are high, then contracting with a 3rd party (such as Spikesource) for a full code level security audit for all the candidate applications you are considering (and dropping any applications that don't allow this) would (IMO, though I am not a lawyer, and this is not a SLAsmile) be reasonable.

It may also be reasonable to contract with a partner to ensure the server is set up to match the client's desired level of security.

*3rd party review is also a basic principle in other fields, for instance it is similar to peer review in the sciences.

** Looking for repeated failed calls to the same file, for instance, a hallmark of script kiddies looking for unpatched systems.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Penney

by Just H -
Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply, I'm glad to say you've confirmed what I've been trying to tell them . . . in a more detailed and authoritative manner of course smile

Basically, I set up a Moodle site as a trial for my organisation which has been successful so far. My boss told me about a larger project involving a number of organisations that has gone nowhere in the past two years other than a survey/requirements analysis carried out in 2004. I volunteered the fact I believed Moodle could be used as a "portal" and I could get a site up and running for them in about half an hour and with a few tweaks of the language files it should be good to go.

I set up our live Moodle site, which is still a pilot, on a shared hosting plan as my organisations network is locked down tight and our IT department tend to be a little . . . how to put it . . . lacking in the spirit of adventure! (No way they would give me the access required to get Moodle up and running and to tweak it nor much chance of them doing it.)

As I have plenty space/bandwidth on that server I set up the "portal" on a sub-domain of the host I used for our pilot. Now I'm trying to "sell" the portal idea to the other organisations involved and am being asked (and rightly so) about security and I'm getting out of my depth.

At the moment there is no other candidate applications, the way I see it the organisations have nothing at the moment and no real spec/requirement analysis either (I have seen the results of the work done in 2004 and it's very disappointing) so I figured they may as well start with something and then get a better idea of what exactly they need (not the best methodology; but the past two years has seen no movement whatsoever). I was hoping that there may be some sort of security analysis done on Moodle that I just haven't been able to find.

I've pointed them to various open source v proprietary articles on the web; pointed out the size of Moodle's developer and user base therefore hundreds if not thousands of eyes available to pick up any bugs or security issues; thrown in the fact people like Moodle unlike Microsoft and to a lesser extent IBM therefore not as big a target; pointed out the various built in security features and authentication schemes Moodle already has; pointed out the large organisations already using Moodle and those coming on board; pointed out that if they run with it after a trial period then the server should come in-house within a more secure network than the current shared hosting situation and therefore the IT gurus can secure it just as tight as the rest of the network; and pointed out that there are so many variables and that as it's outside my area of expertise I personally can't give them a definitive answer to their question although I'm sure some consultants could if they throw enough money at them (at the moment the seem very interested in the fact they can have a 12 month trial for less than AU$300).

They'd still like to see something in black and white!

Felt good to get that off my chest big grin

So, thank you once again Michael for your reply. It has boosted my confidence in the information I have already given them - I feel like I'm treading water rather than sinking now cool

Regards
Harry

In reply to Michael Penney

by Fred Frazelle -
Thanks a lot Harry, your answer, at least from someone who doesn't know much about security, looks really complete and impressive.

Have a great day! smile
In reply to Fred Frazelle

by Just H -
Thanks Fred smile

Thing is, I still don't really have an answer for them, more I look into it more it's a "How long's a piece of string?" question. sad

Bottom line for me is that the script itself seems to be very secure and has a great bunch of developers that react to vulnerabilities as soon as they become known (sometimes before they are known).

But, on a shared server particularly (as I've sadly recently found out on two sites), there may well be vulnerabilities that can impact a Moodle install. So, like most things, comes down to dollars . . . if they want real security, spend some dollars on a dedicated server or bring it in-house where their own tech people can lock it down.

Regards
H
In reply to Just H

by Steve Hyndman -

But, on a shared server particularly (as I've sadly recently found out on two sites), there may well be vulnerabilities that can impact a Moodle install. So, like most things, comes down to dollars . . . if they want real security, spend some dollars on a dedicated server or bring it in-house where their own tech people can lock it down.

I think that is the key Harry....it doesn't matter how secure Moodle is....if it's on an insecure server, then it's insecure. Moodle is very secure...if it's on a secure sever, connected to a secure network, with security minded tech people and users, then chances are it will remain secure.

When you think about it, the only thing it takes to make any given Moodle install "insecure" is to reveal the admin username and password. And...I'll bet that on most Moodle installs the admin username is "admin"....therefore, the only thing keeping most installs secure is the password.

As you have pointed out, there is a lot to security....Moodle itself, is only part of the equation.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Just H -
Hi Steve

When you think about it, the only thing it takes to make any given Moodle install "insecure" is to reveal the admin username and password. And...I'll bet that on most Moodle installs the admin username is "admin".... therefore, the only thing keeping most installs secure is the password.

Ummmmmm . . . for my first install when having a look at Moodle (and numerous other scripts) . . . 3 guesses for my admin username blush

On the plus side,  I only used "admin" for having a quick look at scripts but I have a sneaking suspicion you may be right there on a lot of production sites.

As for passwords, I use the password generator on the right of this page, I'm sure there are lots of generators out there but I have used quite a few of B&Ts scripts from that page.

Harry