Diploma Thesis "Mobile Classroom" (Brainstorming appreciated)

Diploma Thesis "Mobile Classroom" (Brainstorming appreciated)

by Andreas Forstinger -
Number of replies: 5
Hi folks!
After having annoyed you all with newbie questions, I would like to introduce myself and my planned work here. I chose the dev forum as I really appreciate other developers thoughts about that and I am sure there are many points where you can help me a lot smile I will link this thread in other fora as well, just to get more feedback (even from people probably not reading the dev forum), beg your pardon for that.

So my name is Andreas, I am 23y old and I am from Graz, Austria. I currently work on my diploma thesis at the university of applied sciences, department for "information management", branch "digital media technologies" (http://dmt.fh-joanneum.at).

My work is based on the general idea of m(obile)-Learning, especially the usage of smartphones. In 2004 a colleague, Matthias Meisenberger, worked on an m-Learning application called "MLE" (mobile learning engine). He developed a feature-rich J2ME application which made it possible to download precreated content (so called learning objects) to the mobile phone and afterwards walk through them (offline, meaning at no cost). The project was rather successful and even won several awards. Now the project is still under development by eLibera, a business Matthias set up together with another colleague, Ilias Lazaridis.

You may be interested in giving http://www.elibera.com a visit and have a look at the MLE. One can register there for free and download the application to a compatible (MIDP 2.0) mobile phone. Precreated content may be booked from the platform, or even newly created by use of a comfortable editor.

At our department there is currently a project (http://www.ixmedia.biz) which successfully integrated the MLE application into Moodle, making it possible to create mobile content via a module.

My plan is to expand on this idea, making not only special mobile content usable, but also Moodle core modules like choices or quizzes. I also think of other functionality as there could be integration of the messaging system, or far more important - forum and wiki support. As a mobile is not the best suited medium for long textual input, I want to clearly focus on multimedia elements there (i.e. audio comments, photographs and movie sequences). Also other functionalities could be suitable for mobile use (messaging system, journal,...). As my time for working on it is limited, I decided to not fully implement a new client application, but extend MLE. Negative side effect: MLE is not open source (still it is free for personal and educational use), so I will not be able to share the client code with the community (at least I don't even have it).

Now here is where YOU come in!
I would really much appreciate your thoughts and ideas on that.
  • Which Moodle functionalities do you think will be suitable the most for mobile use?
  • Which new functionalities could you imagine?
  • Focussing on the quiz module, which different types do exist and which of them could be best adapted for mobile usage?
  • Not thinking about Moodle for a second, which features would you expect from a mobile learning solution (community features, wiki search, google search,...)?
  • Which features could you imagine to not only enable mobile moodling, but also to have some more "collaborative learning" - i.e. having activities together with a mate via bluetooth for example. Could you imagine new "collaboration focused" quiz types?

Any proposals are welcome! I know there are many creative and experienced brains in here and I am sure there will be the most wonderful ideas!

I also realized that there is at least one other project (moodle for mobile)dealing with some kind of "mobile moodle", but there are some differences. First of all I am convinced about a rich client on the mobile, making (to a certain degree) offline usage possible. Furthermore I search for new ideas and functionalities which could be implemented using mobile phones as devices. I just think about the possibility of doing some location based stuff out in the field...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andreas Forstinger

Re: Diploma Thesis "Mobile Classroom" (Brainstorming appreciated)

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Andreas,
Glad to hear you checked out the topics on Moodle for Mobiles (MFM) on this developer forum. We have finished 4 mobile phone modules (quiz, feedback, quickmail, hot potatoes) and two more almost finished. We also have an MFM Developer Workshop scheduled for June 2 with Jamie Pratt, Gordon Bateson, Narumi Sekiya (lead programmers) as key members. If you can stop by Sapporo then, please join us!  Or skype us as we debate the pros and cons of "rich clients".  smile
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Andreas Forstinger -
Hi Don!
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I fear I won't be able to show up in Japan smile
But I am indeed very interested in your discussion's outcome!

What makes me believe a rich client is better suited (for my needs) is the fact that I don't believe only making existing moodle "mobile" is the real killer app. It might be useful and nice to play around with. But for succesful and accepted mLearning it would take more than just existing content brought to your mobile. It would require new "mobile" features, which make use of the technical possibilities a modern mobile phone offers (mobility, context [location based stuff], interactivity [phone, sms, sip, bluetooth,...], media features [cam, voice recording, MP3 player,...], etc.). As an example be invited to have a look at my latest thread - concerning a multimedia protocol module.

So as you see I do not want to simply change the "presentation" layer from one medium to another, but add "logic". And this is as far as I know only possible with a rich client application (C++/C#, JavaME or FlashLite).
What I am planning on in the moment is the mentioned protocol module, some community-feature-stuff like discovery of nearby "mobile moodlers", exchange of personal profiles and some instant messaging (all via Bluetooth). Furthermore I planned kind of "audience response system", where the students use their mobile like a TED system (small device with usually 4 buttons A-D on it) to answer quick multiple choice questions to give immediate feedback to the teacher on understanding or simply for doing quick, anonymous votes.

Glad to hear from you,
Andreas

by Tony Hursh -
Hi, Andreas. I had a couple of items saved in my Bloglines collection that might be of interest:

The StudyTXT project in New Zealand.

Youths use cell phones as mini-PCs, from eSchool News.

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Andreas Forstinger -

Hi Tony,

thanks for the links. Especially the StudyTXT thing is really interesting!

by Peter Mellow -
Hi Andreas,

I developed StudyTXT, and am currently expanding its use in NZ. Please remember to put the StudyTXT project in context. I know you can do some amazing things with mLearning, but I had a very, very limited budget and consider StudyTXT as the first step into the mLearning world. If successful, I hope to expand the services we offer.

I think of mLearning as one of the second waves within flexible learning. Most institutions now have a LMS of one sort or another (Moodle, Blackboard, WebCT, etc.) and that has been a start, but as Bob Bottomely from WINTEC said; "Is the web the way?"

I think the answer is yes, no, maybe! Of course the Internet is wonderful and powerful, however as we have learnt with Learning Management Systems, no one tool can be all things to all educators.

I do like this quote from Ira Fuchs:

“The proliferation of learning management systems suggests that no one system is sufficiently feature rich, or adequately flexible and extensible enough to meet everyone’s needs or even most institutions’ requirements.”

Ira Fuchs, vice president for research in information technology, Mellon Foundation. (2004, July) Learning Management Systems: Are we there yet? http://www.campus-technology.com/print.asp?ID=9675

mLearning is another option for some students who may not have Internet access in their homes or daily lives outside of their schools/colleages/universities. Have you checked out the Mobile Ed initiative? http://mobiled.uiah.fi/

Cheers! smile