Is there a minimum version for PHP5?

Is there a minimum version for PHP5?

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I've got a bug in the questionbank which is clearly caused by a PHP bug (to do with references). The problem is present certainly in 5.0.5 and is fixed by 5.1.0. What I would *really* like is for 5.1.0 to be the minimum recommended version smile

There seem to have been mountains of bug fixes throughout 5.0.x
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Is there a minimum version for PHP5?

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have tried an install on Ubuntu Breeze with 5.0.x and was soon forced to downgrade to 4.x too sad
In reply to Howard Miller

by Gustav W Delius -
Yes, apache kept hanging when I tried to run the quiz module with PHP 5.0.4. When I told Martin about this he said he had heard of other problems due to bugs in PHP 5.0.4 and that it would therefore not be supported by Moodle. 
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Cory B -
I would upgrade to version 5.1.4 if you can. I know that 5.0.4 had some issues with Wordpress and probably some other applications. I don't run version 5 with Moodle yet, but it works well for my Drupal stuff.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, I think 5.1 or later is fair (for PHP5).

In PHP4, Moodle 1.6 requires 4.1.12 or later for latin languages, and 4.1.16 and later for anything else.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Cool - I have amended the requirements in the docs wiki.

Thanks smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Bob Gettings -
Is it PHP 4.1.16 that is required for running Moodle with non-Latin script or is it MySQL 4.1.16 that is required?
In reply to Bob Gettings

by Cory B -
Mysql 4.1.16 is required for the non-Latin scripts. I don't think there ever was a 4.1.16 version of PHP.  (There is a thread about it here.)