Embedding MS Sharepoint Videos

by Tay Moss -
Number of replies: 7
I have a video on Sharepoint. I can generate a link for which "Everyone with the link can access." This allows people to watch the video without needing to sign into MS world.  Great.

But I want to embed that video in a course page. I find that the "embed code" generated for the vieod by MS Sharepoint requires people to log in to MS to view. There does not appear to be anyway around that from what I've read about using the MS-provided embed code. See this article for example. 

Note: Stream only supports embed codes for logged in users internal to your organization. You can use an embed code on web pages outside of Microsoft 365, but the embed code will require the viewer to login and have access to the file. (source)

So I'm wondering if anyone has a work around that does NOT involve uploading the video to video streaming site (Youtube, Vimeo, et. al.).  Ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tay Moss

Re: Embedding MS Sharepoint Videos

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
What happens if you use a URL resource in Moodle and just link to the video?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Tay Moss -
Nothing. Moodle's filter system doesn't recognize it as a video.
In reply to Tay Moss

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Well, so much for my suggestion.

I use Vimeo, but I understand where you are coming from. Perhaps someone else will have an idea.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Our organisation uses sharepoint/MS365 apps. When you're logged on to the network, the Edge browser automatically logs you in (mostly) to MS365, so it's not that much trouble? Chrome requires a login, but then it persists until the browser closes.
In reply to Gregor McNish

by Tay Moss -
Right: but I’m trying to solve the use-case where the users are NOT part of the O365 organization.
In reply to Tay Moss

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Tay,

Put your video on YouTube. It is simple to do and does not cost anything. Even the Vatican has a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@VaticanNewsEN

smile
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Tay Moss -
Yes, we already host the vast majority of our videos on YouTube. But it adds a few extra steps to upload a video from SharePoint into YouTube and take the link and post it on Moodle. Since SharePoint already has embedding capabilities, I’m asking if anyone has made it work without the user being logged into MS365. It seems dumb they don’t allow this case, as it would be a really practical shortcut in organizations that use O365 a lot.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)