Moodle: How to disallow student from accessing the grade and seeing the “pen” comments?

Moodle: How to disallow student from accessing the grade and seeing the “pen” comments?

by jamal numan -
Number of replies: 12

I couldn’t figure out how to accessing the grade and seeing the “pen” comments

Which settings control this?

mm

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jamal numan

Re: Moodle: How to disallow student from accessing the grade and seeing the “pen” comments?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello,

It sounds like some permissions on your site have been changed by mistake. How about resetting the permissions for the student role or at least checking that the grade assignment capability is not set.

For more details, see the documentation Permissions.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Moodle: How to disallow student from accessing the grade and seeing the “pen” comments?

by jamal numan -
My query pertains to a method for not only hiding the grades but also hiding the comments entered by the pen for all students simultaneously on that assignment. How can this be achieved?

wer

In reply to jamal numan

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Are you wanting the grade that students are given in the assignment to be hidden until a specified date? Your screenshots show the interface for entering a grade, which only teachers should see.

In reply to Helen Foster

by jamal numan -
Precisely. I need to hide both the comments of the pen and grades such that students are not able to view them.

In other words, I need to disallow student from viewing both the pen comments and the grades of particular assignment
In reply to jamal numan

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Sounds like you just need to enable the Marking workflow grading feature in the assignment -- "Marking (grading) workflow
This lets you keep grades and feedback hidden until you are ready to release them to students"
In reply to John Provasnik

by John Provasnik -
Yep, confirming this is what you need to enable.

You can grade a student, add annotated feedback, feedback files, feedback comments, and a grade, and all the student will see is their grading status:

Student view: 
 -->  --> 

In the teacher view, there are 5 "workflow state" options and the first 4 are the same for the student-view and just show the status name in the student view but do not show the assignment feedback or grade results until "Released" workflow state is selected.
 --> 

by jamal numan -
The steps are unclear.

What am I supposed to do in order to hide both the grade and pen comments for all students in one go and then release them for all students in one go?

It's not clear at all.

rtyerty

yyh7

bb5

In reply to jamal numan

by John Provasnik -
In your assignment's settings, under the "Grade" section, select "Yes" for "Use marking workflow" -- this should immediately prevent students from seeing the grade and feedback for that assignment until you change the "Status" to "Released" on the Submissions grading page.

I was able to test this by logging in as a student after changing the "Use marking workflow" setting to "Yes" -- as this student, I was unable to see the results of my submission until, as the teacher, I changed the grading Status to "Released". Then, as the student, I saw my grade and feedback for that assignment.

by jamal numan -
Does choosing 'yes' for the 'use marking workflow' option hide both the grade and 'pen' comments simultaneously for all students? Consequently, if I go back and select 'no,' will it allow all students to view their grades and 'pen' comments? In other words, does this choice impact both the grade and 'pen' comments, and not just the grade?

ee4

ee5

In reply to jamal numan

by John Provasnik -
Yes, by changing User Marking workflow to "yes", it hides the assigned grade, it hides any feedback comments, and it hides access to the annotated PDF (pen comments). Students only see their original submission and a "status" about if their assignment was graded yet or not.

Yes, by toggling the "Yes" back to "No", students would immediately see their assigned grade, feedback comments, and the annotated PDF (pen comments) again.

by jamal numan -
This appears not to work!
"Yes, by toggling the "Yes" back to "No", students would immediately see their assigned grade, feedback comments, and the annotated PDF (pen comments) again."

i needed to go back and "release" the grades for the students one by one! is this by design?
In reply to jamal numan

by John Provasnik -
Ok, I must have already released teh grades when I toggled. I do think this would be by design.