Need help making the algebraic formulas work

Need help making the algebraic formulas work

by Bill Click -
Number of replies: 14
Well, we have tried to no avail.  Someone out there knows what we need to do to make the algebra formulas work.  Whenever I include the @@ to build a formula our server goes deep within itself and seems to hide.  I have gone to the configuration and set both tex and algebra filters as active.  We have tried to give the necessary permissions to the cmd.  I know that we are missing something and need the help of our community to resolve this issue so that I can get busy building our math workshops and quizzes.  I can't resolve this issue on my own and I know that someone, somewhere has come across this and resolved it.  Please share.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bill Click

Re: Need help making the algebraic formulas work

by Lars Jensen -
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Bill Click -
No I didn't.  Actually I don't have a clue as to what this is or what it will allow me to do.  Can you enlighten me a little?
In reply to Lars Jensen

by Gregory Gorny -

Hi

I've got moodle on linux system and TeX is not working. I/ve tried http://yoursitename/moodle/filter/tex/texdebug.php

and i've got this result:

Warning: escapeshellarg() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/kakol/public_html/filter/tex/texdebug.php on line 108

Notice: Undefined variable: status in /home/kakol/public_html/filter/tex/texdebug.php on line 131

Warning: system() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/kakol/public_html/filter/tex/texdebug.php on line 131

If the following image displays correctly, set your Administration->Configuration->Variables setting for slasharguments to file.php/pic.jpg: 74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif

Otherwise set it to file.php?file=pic.jpg It should display correctly as pix.php?file=74c2b66b2d2501b77fad711fd1febcf0.gif

If neither equation image displays correctly, please seek further help at moodle.org at the Mathematics Tools Forum

what should i do? i/m not sure if mimetex is correct.. or meybe its something else?

Please help

In reply to Lars Jensen

by Evariste Galois -
Hi, I used http://yoursitename/moodle/filter/tex/texdebug.php to debug. I could see the figure on this page. It meant that mimetex was allowed to run on my server, didn't it? But in my actual site, all I saw is a bold "Undetermined error"! I am using Moodle 1.5.3+. Could you please further explain it to me? Thank you very much!
In reply to Bill Click

by Peter Batchelor -
Bill, I don't know if this applies to your problem, but I found that when I set up the jsMath extension in the moodle I'm doing some work on I had to go into the Filters Configuration page in Admin section, and not only add the jsMath filter to the Active list, but also change the order of the filters. I had to move the jsMath filter to the top of the list of active filters before it would work.

hth, Peter
In reply to Peter Batchelor

by Bill Click -
It's amazing, but our minds are working exactly the same.  I also tried to re-order the sequence of the filter elements to no avail.  But thanks for the contribution.
In reply to Bill Click

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Lars Jensen -
Hi James,

What OS are you using for your moodle server? If it is linux, all you need to do is enable the filters from the moodle admin page. After doing this, test it by entering something like this in a moodle forum post: $$$ y=x^3 $$$ - it should come out like this $$y=x^3$$.

If for some reason you're still having trouble, try the debuggers (see my message above).

Lars.
In reply to Lars Jensen

In reply to Deleted user

by Lars Jensen -
Hi James,

You type it directly into the editor box - no the need to go to HTML window.

We don't have a windows 2003 server, but I have moodle installed on my Windows XP desktop machine, and once I activate the tex and algebra filters from the moodle admin page (have you done this?), I don't have to do anything else. It just works. I'm surprised this should be any different on a 2003 server...

Lars.
In reply to Bill Click

by Davide Cervone -
I don't know much about the algebra filter, but can offer you an alternative: the jsMath filter. This allows you to enter mathematics using TeX notation (like the tex filter). You may not be aware of it because it is a user-contributed filter rather than a standard one that is distributed with Moodle. One of the things that makes the jsMath filter different from the algebra and tex filters is that it uses JavaScript in the user's browser rather than programs running on the server. That means there is less server configuration (and less chance of problems on the server), but also means the burden for typesetting the mathematics is transferred to the user (i.e., there is a performance hit).

If you are interested in trying the jsMath filter, you can obtain it from the Moodle CVS repository at:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/moodle/contrib/jsmath
or you can download the whole thing from
  http://download.moodle.org/download.php/modules/jsmath.zip
Hope that helps.

Davide

In reply to Davide Cervone

In reply to Deleted user

by Davide Cervone -
FYI, it is JavaScript, not Java. These are two very different technologies. (Netscape intentionally named JavaScript so that it would be confused with Java, but that's another story.) In any case, your Mac users won't have any trouble with it (I use a Mac myself, and do all the development work there). Actually, I should be a bit careful about what I say: if they aren't using MSIE on the Mac, they will not have any trouble, but if they are using MSIE/Mac, they'll be having lots of other trouble with Moodle, so I'm assuming that's not the case. If it is, get them off of MSIE as fast as you can.

Davide