Dashboard Card images not resizing dynamically

Dashboard Card images not resizing dynamically

by Quintin Seegers -
Number of replies: 2
Moodle: v3.11
Theme: Boost

When adding an image file in the course settings, when the user is enrolled in the course and view their Dashboard, the course image is displayed when using the Card view:

The images display correctly when the browser window is maximised. However, if the browser window is resized, the images don't resize, but are cropped:

I can see the card-img and dashboard-card-img div classes are applied to the image, with the following styling applied:

In my browser (using the page inspector) I have tried overwriting the style to the following:
height: auto;
max-width: 100%;

but then the image completely disappears.

Suggestions now how to change the styling to the images resize dynamically?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Quintin Seegers

Re: Dashboard Card images not resizing dynamically

by Bob Gilmore -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
The reason the images disappear at height: auto; is because the images are backgrounds of the card-img portion of the card. There is no actual content in the card-img part of the card and so the auto size is 0.

The problem is that while the card-img height is 'fixed' at 7em, the width is a proportional width of the viewport with different proportions at different set widths. Looks like just shy of 25% on 3.11 at that resolution. This means the aspect ratio of the cards changes as width of the viewport does.

Short of fixing the width of the cards and fixing how many are displayed per row at the various bootstrap breakpoints (which is what Moodle 4.x did), you'd need to change the card image background properties.

I dont have access to 3.11 to try this, but if you try the following css:

background-size: contain;
background-repeat: no-repeat;
The images will fit to the card size as best they can and not tile.

Alternatively:

background-size: 100%;

will stretch the images horizontally 100% to fit the width of the card, maintaining the images aspect ratio. This may result in white space above and below the images.

background-size: auto 100%;
will stretch the image vertically 100% and may leave white space left and right.

Finally:

background-size: 100% 100%;
with stretch the image to fill both horizontal and vertical card size. This will result in stretched images, but it might suit your use case.

In reply to Bob Gilmore

Re: Dashboard Card images not resizing dynamically - SOLVED

by Quintin Seegers -
Hi Bob,

Thanks. your suggestion of
background-size: 100%;
did the trick. I also added
background-position: top;
which removed the spacing above the image. I can live with the spacing below the image.