What will give a better performance

What will give a better performance

by Jan van Leeuwen -
Number of replies: 6
Hi,

we have Moodle 4.1.5 running on a server with 32 Gb Memory, a 10-core CPU and a 1 Tb SSD.
I have given MySQL much more resources based on the results of mysqltuner.

What other options do we have to get a better responsiveness for Moodle?

It is not extremely slow but it would be nice if it was more responsive.

We are gratefull for every hint.

Regards,
Jan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jan van Leeuwen

Re: What will give a better performance

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Are you running everything on the one server? what is your overall architecture? If your database and moodle data directories are on the same physical disk that will be your first bottle neck to address, its always going to cause contention.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Brett Dalton

by Jan van Leeuwen -
Thanks Brett,

we have an install with a limited number of Moodle-Users, certainly below 1000, it is a drivingschool in Bavaria.

Indeed the Database, the Webspace and the Datadirectory are all on the same server. A Ubuntu 22.04 Server.
When i run htop or glances there are enough resources left, the Disc is in fact a raid with SSD's mirrored that on itself is fast enough.

I will take a look on what Visvanad has send me.

Regards,
Jan

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Even if the database was on a separate physical storage to the data directory you may find an improvement. Single server system can work well but its bottle nexts like that which hamper them at times.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
> It is not extremely slow but it would be nice if it was more responsive.

If you are going to make changes and see their results, you need some numbers. You can't depend on subjective feelings like "not extremely slow" or "more responsive". The forum documentation Performance has all sorts of stress-and-strain measuring methods.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Jan van Leeuwen -
Thanks Visvanath for the Link on Performance.
I have some reading to do . . . .

Regards,
Jan

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
1000 total number of users, even if 100 are practising for their "Theorieprüfung" at any given time, I would run that operation comfortably in a single 4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM, SSD VPS. But I experiment with Raspberry Pi and similar low power devices and familiar with the inner life of them and always in a mission to save energy (and the environment).

Whatever, your 10 vCPU, 32 GB RAM, SSD system should be smooth sailing. You need to dig deep in to the real cause of the problem rather than prescribing medicine that are known to have helped others. The specifics are in those documentation and past discussions in this forum.