Setting Up Dual Marking Workflow

Setting Up Dual Marking Workflow

by Rinald Mamashev -
Number of replies: 3

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently facing a challenge in setting up an efficient dual marking system for assignments on Moodle and would like your thoughts and advice.

We aim to ensure that two teachers evaluate each assignment to maintain a robust assessment process. The ideal workflow would involve the first marker being automatically assigned based on the student's group allocation (e.g., the teacher responsible for that particular group). For the second marker, we would prefer the flexibility of manual assignment, allowing us to choose a teacher who can provide an additional layer of feedback. Alternatively, having the capability for all teachers to view the assignments and then delegate via email who should mark which student's work could also work for us.

However, we need help to establish a transparent and streamlined process. We attempted to utilise the marking allocation feature within Moodle, but it appears only to support the assignment of a single marker per submission

Has anyone successfully set up a similar system on Moodle? Are there specific plugins or settings that could facilitate this dual marking approach? Any guidance on how to navigate this issue would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and support

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rinald Mamashev

Re: Setting Up Dual Marking Workflow

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
" it appears only to support the assignment of a single marker per submission"

I can confirm this isn't an "appears only", to it "only" supports a single marker per submission.

Whilst you may find some plugins (e.g. https://github.com/newroco/moodle-gradingform_multigraders) that hook into the Advanced grading methods for Assignments, these will have their own fixed workflow. If that workflow works for you then these are "perfect" smile

Moodle itself does not have very good support for this, and it has been a periennial question that has been going since 2015 at least (Moodle Tracker items: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-49320 and https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-64118) and without it, it's pretty hard to build workflows for individual institutions.

This missing feature has been one of my personal issues for a long time sad

So far workarounds have involved having 1 submission activity, with a 2nd grade item (but you can't use grading methods for this), and it's complicated to navigate, and there's no automated consensus process if the grades are wildly different.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Michael Hughes

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I agree with this statement. Despite our attempts to develop various solutions, we haven't found a good way to enable multiple graders to assess assignments. Our University requires the 'four eyes principle', which means that at least two teachers must grade each assignment. We are still looking for an effective method to achieve this.

We also want, just for the objectivity, that our teachers can not see each other's grading and feedback. When they both graded, there should be a moment in which two teachers can see the feedback from the other teacher and discuss the differences.

After a compromise, they should be able to release the grade.
In reply to Michael Hughes

by Rinald Mamashev -
Thank you, Michael,
I will review the plugin. Hopefully, it will be useful.

I am just puzzled that this issue has not been officially resolved, as my understanding is that most educational establishments would require dual marking in some way.