Adaptable V403.1.3 for M4.3 updated

Adaptable V403.1.3 for M4.3 updated

by Gareth J Barnard -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I have updated the Adaptable theme for Moodle 4.3 as follows:

Release 403.1.3 for Moodle 4.3 version 2023100900.00 (Build: 20231009) and above within the 4.3 branch until the next release:

with:

1. Fix missing logo in alternative header for header style one.
  2. Fix jssection setting value causing breakage.
  3. Fix jssectionrestricted setting value not in nofooter layout.
  4. Deprecated 'jssection' and 'jssectionrestricted' settings, please copy values to 'customjs' and 'customjsrestricted' with any 'script' tags removed.
  5. Separated 'Custom CSS and JS' into two separate settings tabs, 'Custom CSS' and 'Custom JS', the latter is now in the 'Local Adaptable' plugin.
  6. Fix 'btn a' style.

This release could contain bugs and so I strongly recommend that you check on a test server first!  Not sure how to set one up?  Then look at the 'Installer packages' on https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/. Ensure that you have multiple backups of all data before using.  Please report any issues. i.e. 'bugs' with this release ONLY here.  Before doing so please read 'Reporting issues' on the 'Information' tab on the theme 'Settings' under 'Site administration' -> 'Appearance' -> 'Adaptable'.

I fully appreciate that there has been a lot of releases recently.  This is down to the process I'm undertaking of updating the theme to employ more modern techniques and methods that are now provided by core Moodle.  It is my intent that the theme become more maintainable and less complex in terms of the way it's constructed.  It is inevitable that given such a complex theme that I'm only able to test so far and being human will make mistakes that I'll correct.  Therefore I really do stress that you must use a test server and check that the theme works for you in combination with your set of setting values and customisations, before going live in a production environment.

All being well, I'll release the same set of changes for the M4.1 and M4.2 versions soon.

Please note that in light of MDLSITE-7418 I have renamed the 'master' branch to 'main' on GitHub for Adaptable and indeed my other plugins.  Thus, if you have a fork, then please update the parent.

If you find this post useful, then please mark it so.

Thank you,

Gareth

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

Re: Adaptable V403.1.3 for M4.3 updated

by Rob Oudendijk -
Gareth,

Thanks for the posting of the update. I did update, but my problems are still not resolved.
Let me know when the next version will be available. Currently, switched back to Boost theme.

Regards,
Rob Oudendijk
In reply to Rob Oudendijk

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Rob,

As far as I can tell from extensive investigation of the changes I made between the two versions (from and to) that were apart of your upgrade process, and the data that you supplied, there is no outstanding issue to fix. What exact 'problems' do you have please? What error messages are you getting? How can I replicate them?

Gareth

by Rob Oudendijk -
Gereth,

I was updating just the theme on moodle 4.3.3 and the whole look got changed. Unusable now. The side menus do not show up, layouts on the UI are complete different as before the theme update. You had mentioned you could reproduce the issue in before chat with my exported JSON file. Please let me know what I can do to get the theme as I wanted it to be and the way it was with the new, updated version.

Regards
Rob Oudendijk

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Rob,

That's really, really strange. The data you provided did identify a small issue that made total sense, I tested the solution completely and have no idea what's up with your installation and therefore can't tell you how to fix something that I don't know why it's broken. Please could you post screen shots / error messages and I'll try to get to the bottom of why its working for me (and others as I've had no other reports - bar https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=455331#p1829662 which has been solved and has different symptoms) and not you.

Regards,

Gareth

by Rob Oudendijk -
Gereth,

Thank you for the reply.
I will take some screenshot tomorrow (now bedtime here in Japan).

Regards
Rob Oudendijk

by Rob Oudendijk -
Gereth,

Good news. I removed, cleaned out the caches on the LMS and on my Cloudflare gateway and reinstalled the theme again. That resolved most of the display issues. A small readjustment in the CSS, and the theme looks now the same as it did before the update. So the issue is solved now.

Regards
Rob Oudendijk

by Maxime Devis -
HI team

Update this morning on Moodle 4.3.2 with 403.1.3
when i want create a new course, i get this error message

Erreur

Exception : mb_substr(): Argument #3 ($length) must be of type ?int, string given
Debug info:
Error code: generalexceptionmessage
Stack trace:
  • line 184 of /lib/classes/text.php: TypeError thrown
  • line 184 of /lib/classes/text.php: call to mb_substr()
  • line 1672 of /theme/adaptable/classes/output/core_renderer_toolbox.php: call to core_text::substr()
  • line 1580 of /theme/adaptable/classes/output/core_renderer_toolbox.php: call to theme_adaptable\output\core_renderer->get_course_title()
  • line 262 of /theme/adaptable/classes/output/core_renderer_layout.php: call to theme_adaptable\output\core_renderer->get_title()
  • line 687 of /theme/adaptable/classes/output/core_renderer_layout.php: call to theme_adaptable\output\core_renderer->yesheader()
  • line 31 of /theme/adaptable/layout/columns2.php: call to theme_adaptable\output\core_renderer->columns_two_layout()
  • line 1486 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
  • line 1412 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
  • line 241 of /course/edit.php: call to core_renderer->header()
If i desactivated the theme and use standard one, no issue.
Any idea ?
Should i update moodle to 4.3.3 ?

Best regards
In reply to Maxime Devis

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Maxime,

I cannot find fault / issue with the theme 'coursetitlemaxwidth' setting that sets that argument. What course titles are you using and what is the value of that setting please?

G

by Maxime Devis -
Hi Gareth

Thanks for your quick answer. For this value since installation in 2016 i have 50%.
I have delete and put default as 20 and seems working perfectly now.

Thank you so much !
Have a nice day

Best regards

by Mateus Mercer -
When this setting is true:

Administration > Appearance > AJAX and Javascript > Cache Javascript > cachejs

This error happens:

Uncaught Error: No define call for theme_adaptable/util

This is caused since amd/src/util.js is a module file, compare it to utils.js, it needs to be compatible with a standard browser JS.

I thought that I've broken the JS of the website somehow, but it wasn't that, it was just the development mode breaking the import of JS files.
Attachment chrome_sWW5QdsTrR.png
In reply to Mateus Mercer

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Mateus,

Cannot replicate. theme_adaptable/util does not need a define call as it's not used directly but via other JS files that do include it with a define call, just like 'core_user/repository' for which it is based on.

G