Gradebook user report - Can I hide percentage calculation of one item only?

Gradebook user report - Can I hide percentage calculation of one item only?

by Pat Bowne -
Number of replies: 5
I have an activity on which some students did great work, so I added an extra credit item in my gradebook. When students look at their grades, they see both the number of points they got on the extra credit item and a calculated percentage of possible extra credit points. This is confusing, as that percentage doesn't mean anything or contribute any information to their overall percentage for the activity.

For instance:

Is there any way that I can hide ONLY the value circled in red, without hiding the other percentage calculations?  I have already set this grade item to 'real' grade display, but it continued to show the percentage.

Thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pat Bowne

Re: Gradebook user report - Can I hide percentage calculation of one item only?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I believe that it is an "all or none."

However, I know exactly what you mean. I use a "bonus" category in my courses, too. And that "percentage" is confusing since (in my case) bonus points are at most worth 2% of the overall grade, and the percentage (like a student got 0% for a bonus). So I am left telling students to "ignore the percentage."

This is a pretty specific problem, perhaps "small," when considering the overall complexity of Moodle's grade book. Furthermore, the calculation works. We are simply suggesting that we want to not show it.

Incidentally, my school uses the Canvas LMS. These "bonus" calculations cannot be done with Canvas. (So I hate to nitpick Moodle about this.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Joost Elshoff -
One thing you could consider, is to reduce the number of columns visible in your gradebook report. You probably don't need grade AND range AND percentage, if you want to clarify the information for your students. At grade item level, you can set what is actually displayed for each grade. The Moodle Docs offers some information on this that may be helpful: https://docs.moodle.org/403/en/Grade_items
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Joost Elshoff -
Just to illustrate how that works, I recreated your example with various display options per grade item:
Example of grade items with different display options
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Pat Bowne -
Thanks! Are you referring to the advanced grade item options? Unfortunately, none of those appear in my moodle. Here's all I see when editing the grade item settings, and as it shows, I have already selected 'Real' sad
Since overall percentages are really important to my students, I don't think hiding the column for the whole gradebook would work. Unless you know a way to do it for just this item.

In reply to Pat Bowne

by Joost Elshoff -
The dropdown menu in your screenshot affects how the grade in the 'Grade' column of the report is displayed. Disabling the less relevant columns for your course can be done from the Gradebook > Course grade settings page. Here you can Hide / Show any columns you need.

It would be my preference to have the following columns available:
Grade, Feedback

And disabled:
Percentage
Weightings
Average
Letter grades
Contribution to course total
Range

You can differentiate the display option on the grade item, by setting the assignment itself to display Real (Percentage) and the bonus bit to Real.

That way, you can clean up your grade report area where the students get their required info and feedback.

Nice to know: the Feedback column automatically shows the Feedback text content from the graded Assignment submission, if you wrote feedback there.