Rubric Grading

Rubric Grading

by Dr. John Sinclair -
Number of replies: 4
Hello, I am instructor and we have the newest version of Moodle.  I created rubrics for my course using a value in each column, say 0 | 5 | 10 |20

I can change my roll as a student but if I switch back to instructor, I cannot see how the grading would be when the class starts.  My question is... if I select column 3, can I put a number greater or less than the default score?  The reason is that students can often do slightly better or worse, but the % swings between levels can be extreme, so I wanted to see if I could input a different grade than the default.  If not, this would be a good feature because is too cumbersome to make say 20 columns and offer descriptions.

Thank you!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dr. John Sinclair

Re: Rubric Grading

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi John,

With the Rubric setup in Moodle, it's only possible to award the preset number of points for every criterium, in your example 0 | 5 | 10 | 20. Based on the points total, a grade is calculated.

You could opt for using the Marking guide grading method instead, if installing other plugins is not an option. I found a Ranged Rubrics plugin in the plugins list (https://moodle.org/plugins/gradingform_rubric_ranges) that may be of interest.

For me, the great thing about using rubrics is that it promotes a notion of required quality for the assessment criteria for both students and instructors. It provides a lot of structure and clarity about what is expected from the students' submissions.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Dr. John Sinclair -
Thank you so much for your suggestions! Unfortunately, with this version of Moodle, we are unable to load the plugin. I tried the Marking guide, and it was not quite what I was looking for, so I decided to add a few more columns to my rubric, and I think that will work for now! Hoping a rubric range plugin will work in future iterations of the course!
In reply to Dr. John Sinclair

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
That makes me wonder what version you're currently using. I understand site administration is not part of your role in the process, but maybe there are a few things to discuss in your organisation:

The plugin supports Moodle 3.9 and onwards, and has been tested and updated for Moodle 4.1. This doesn't automatically mean it won't work in 4.2 or 4.3, but there is a note of caution. Also, the plugin has been developed and is under maintenance at Catalyst IT, who are probably the biggest contributor to Moodle worldwide.

I tested it in my own Moodle 4.3 instance, and found it works as expected:
Screenshot of ranged rubric example in Moodle 4.3
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Dr. John Sinclair -
Thank you!  We are looking into it.  Apparently we are waiting for the next update.  This plugin looks amazing!  I saw a comment below about exporting grades with it... have you seen any issues with that?