Multilingual name field

Multilingual name field

by Barry Sampson -
Number of replies: 0
Hello!

I've been asked to look at a Moodle site that was set up by somebody else. The site has one course, which has a certificate at the end.

The problem is that Learner Names are in a mix of languages - mainly English, Thai, Burmese, and Khmer - but the Name field only allows assigning a single font. The certificate has been set up to use the 'Free' font family as suggested under the heading "Languages with special characters" on the documentation page.  

However, some names (Thai ones in particular) do not display correctly. Thai is a tonal language and it require two levels of tone marks above the text. As far as I can see, the "Free" font family does not support this (I think it only supports one level of diacritical mark above the text) and I don't think it explicitly supports Thai. 

So my questions is:

1. Is it possible to conditionally set the font for the name field in the certificate based on the user's preferred language? 
2. If not, does anyone know of a font face that has glyphs for English, Thai, Burmese, and Khmer? 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Many thanks

Barry
Average of ratings: -