New Moodle 4.3

New Moodle 4.3

by Sheileen Krone -
Number of replies: 9
My platform was recently upgraded by my Moodle Tech People and I absolutely hate the new appearance and organization my Moodle now.  My students and teachers have also expressed dislike and frustration.  My Moodle tech guy said there isn't anything that can be done and I cannot go back to my old version.  The new appearance takes up too much space with the boxes and it looks clunky and awkward.  Also, it is not as easy as before to get around.  Does anyone know of a theme or option for me?  Thanks so much.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sheileen Krone

Re: New Moodle 4.3

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Do you know what theme you're using now Sheileen? And what theme / Moodle version did you have?
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Sheileen Krone -
Thanks so much for your reply.  I don't know which version it was before but it was much nicer and more professional looking and definitely more efficient.  I have attached pictures of the current version.screen shot 1Screen shot 2

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Sheileen,

That looks like Boost to me. So have a look at the contributed themes -> https://moodle.org/plugins/browse.php?list=category&id=3 - and perhaps try some out on a local test installation, i.e. look at the 'Installer packages' on https://download.moodle.org/releases/latest/.

G
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Sheileen Krone -
Thank you for your message. I looked at some - which would you say is the cleanest looking, easiest to navigate, direct and not cluttered? - LearnR, Elegance, Foundation or Rebel? I appreciate your expertise.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Sheileen,

It is said that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder', therefore you need to make your own mind up on what you prefer.

G

by Sheileen Krone -
Thank you for your response. I appreciate your comments. Beauty is not my main objective - a platform that is presentable and easy to navigate and edit and teach from for my teachers and students. My current theme is clunky and frustrating to teach and learn from effectively.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Dear Sheileen,

'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is a saying. Therefore in this context it is implying that my thoughts and opinions of any given theme suit my perspective. What works for me may not work for you. You need to decide what is suitable for you given all of your thoughts not mine.

G

by Andrew Brooks -
Your Moodle admin guys could try adding some Raw SCSS.

Re: 4.X Boost theme - any way to change container height and hide box outlining?
This Raw SCSS seems to do the trick:
.activity-item:not(.activityinline) { border: none; padding: 0.1rem; }
.activityiconcontainer {
width: 30px;
height: 30px;
}

I know this works with the Boost theme, but have not tried with 4.1.
(I believe Moodle 4 resulted in much improved code to deal with security and maintenance issues. Also, aspects of the user interface are cleaner. Unfortunately, there is a lot of vertical bloat, so try and get your Moodle admin guys to test what happens adding the above Raw SCSS.)
In reply to Andrew Brooks

by JAUME YP -
Hi, 

Try with:

.activity-item:not(.activityinline) { border: none; padding: 0.1rem; } 

It works more or less for me in Moodle 4.3.

The text and media area I haven't been able to adjust it. 

I used simple lines <br> in a text and media area (old labels) to clarify and separate some content in 3.11 and now in 4.3 the line occupies 500% of the vertical space it occupied before. A nonsense.