OU Blog - alternative activity options

OU Blog - alternative activity options

by Veronika Popp -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

We have recently upgraded to Moodle 4.1 and although we have managed to make the OU Blog work, we are worried about its future stability. We understand that it is an unsupported plugin/project and are now looking for possible options to replace it. 

Our context: we are an online K-12 school (3 year olds to 17-18 year olds). The OU blog has been adopted around the school as a simple 'online exercise book/journal' activity to set up, in which students can easily submit work for feedback at any time. The Wiki, Forums and Assignments are possibilities, but they do not quite meet our need the way we want. 

Have you used OU blogs in the past? What other activities and/or plugins can you suggest as we find a more stable option?

Thank you for your time and help! 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Veronika Popp

Re: OU Blog - alternative activity options

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have used the OU blog in the past, but generally, do not use it anymore. Since you mention, 'journal', an alternative possibility is the Diary plugin. Diary has so many more capabilities than the old Journal plugin and probably would be a better activity overall for what you describe, except it does NOT include the capability for students to see each others work.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Veronika Popp -
Thank you AL Rachels! This sounds like a good alternative and I will definitely look into it. Our students are using individual blogs, private to the teacher and them so this is ideal smile.
In reply to Veronika Popp

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Veronika,

Yes, Diary, would definitly work as an OU Blog replacement when it is just being used for private entries to the teacher and themselves. If you want to try Diary out, without having to install it, let me know via email message, my email address is in my profile here, and I'll give you access where you can try it out as a teacher and as a student.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)