Create courses using API

Create courses using API

par daniel parejo,
Nombre de réponses : 4

Hello, how are you?

I'm using the Moodle API to create courses in this way. To do this, I created an external service with the core_course_create_courses function enabled, and I granted permission to my user, everything is correct in that regard.

I make the API call from Postman like any other API calls I've done before that have worked. The endpoint is: https://my.domain/webservice/rest/server.php

As parameters, I pass my wstoken and the wsfunction, which is core_course_create_courses. Then, in the body, using form-data, I pass the values of my course as follows:

courses[0][fullname] -> Course created by API 

courses[0][shortname] -> cursoapi 

courses[0][categoryid] -> 1

I pass these values because they are the only mandatory ones according to the documentation. When I make this call, I get the following response:

{"eventname":"\\core\\event\\course_created","component":"core","action":"created","target":"course","objecttable":"course","objectid":"48","crud":"c","edulevel":1,"contextid":109,"contextlevel":50,"contextinstanceid":"48","userid":"2","courseid":"48","relateduserid":null,"anonymous":0,"other":{"shortname":"cursoapi","fullname":"Course created by API"},"timecreated":1700126604}

This response is already very different from all the responses I have received from other calls I have made (for example, I had to insert users, and it worked correctly).

However, I don't see any errors in the response, and the call gives me a status of 200 OK, so I assume the call is correct. But when I go to check if the course has been created in the interface, I cannot find this course. I have checked the logs, but there is nothing apart from the log of having called this service.

I have been investigating for a long time, and I cannot find anything similar to this, and I don't know why the course is not being created correctly. I have also checked the database, and there is no record with the data that I have assigned.

Thank you very much for your help.

(PD: I am using Moodle 4.2)

Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à daniel parejo

Re: Create courses using API

par Rémi Chaussenot,
Hello Daniel,

I don't see anything wrong in what you say.

I do not use Postman, but instead a small php interface using curl (on moodle 3.11).

Is it possible to provide (in PM) a token/url to test with my script ?

Thanks
En réponse à Rémi Chaussenot

par daniel parejo,
Hi Remy,

Thanks for your answer. Sadly i am not able to provide any url since its a project restricted by ip...

However thank you so much for answering.

par Rémi Chaussenot,
Too bad!

The answer you get looks really like the main log of moodle.
Which is obviously, not the type of response we usually get from API.

Sorry i can't help more,

R.

par daniel parejo,
Hi everyone,

As i keep trying to solve this, i look at the server logs where i have this moodle and saw this error:

Got error 'PHP message: Potential coding error - active database transaction detected during request shutdown:\n* line 261 of /lib/dml/moodle_read_slave_trait.php: call to moodle_database->start_delegated_transaction()\n* line 858 of /course/externallib.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->start_delegated_transaction()\n* line 1499 of /webservice/lib.php: call to core_course_external::create_courses()\n* line 1345 of /webservice/lib.php: call to webservice_base_server->execute()\n* line 44 of /webservice/rest/server.php: call to webservice_base_server->run()\n'

So i go to the first file where the error is mentioned and comment one line:

/**
* On DBs that support it, switch to transaction mode and begin a transaction
* @return moodle_transaction
*/
public function start_delegated_transaction() {
$this->set_dbhwrite();
//return parent::start_delegated_transaction();
}

First of all, yes, my database support transactions, it is MariaDb and all the tables are in InnoDB format.

As seen in the code, if i comment the return line, the course is created correctly, but this code is core so i cant comment this, i hope this info help someone to help me find the solution.

Thanks