STACK bug 1046 - deferred feedback behaviour: ensure check button hidden

STACK bug 1046 - deferred feedback behaviour: ensure check button hidden

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 2
Hi Tim,

After doing a test upgrade tp moodle 4.1.6, I was confused as to why I was seeing the "Check" button against questions when it shouldn't be for the quiz question behaviour settings.  I can also see errors on the browser console which look like they related to javascript being upable to latch onto the DOM object to set the button to hidden when it shouldn't be displayed.

To work out where the problem was, I have rolled back to moodle version 4.1.4 and step upgraded to see where the issue appears.  My findings were:

• moodle 4.1.5_stable.  There was no issue in this release.
  • moodle 4.1.6_stable.  The issue first appears in this release.
  • moodle 4.1.6_plus_20231102.  This issue also appears in this release.

I was about to submit a bug to moodle, but since I wasn't seeing anyone else report this I dug further.  I'm kicking myself now that I didn't check the STACK issue track in git first as I've now found the below issue which makes perfect sense with what I'm seeing:

https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/issues/1046

Whilst I need to upgrade moodle for the security patching, I am reluctant to change the version of STACK mid-year as it can be disruptive to teaching STACK (depending on the changes).  I also noticed that STACK question v4.4.4 (2023060500) is no longer available to download as a plugin.  We have been using this version since the summer.

Is there a reason why STACK version 4.4.4 that is not longer available as a downloadable Previous Version of STACK?

Is there anyway I can patch in a fix for this Check button issue to STACK version 4.4.4 without having to change the STACK question type version?

Thanks,

Stuart
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Re: STACK bug 1046 - deferred feedback behaviour: ensure check button hidden

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes, that is the issue.

The required change to fix it is small (https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/commit/b3e68254b756566f0f279ffeb36c1864eb6009ea#diff-ced04a7c20a6daaabb9a671291d6cc4e88776582565745afceafc198eed46a89L443) except that that change is in some JavaScript, so after editing that file, you would need to run grunt to get the changes to take effect. That is routine if you are a Moodle developer, but might be a pain if not.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: STACK bug 1046 - deferred feedback behaviour: ensure check button hidden

by Stuart Anderson -
Thanks. A bit of a pain, but not overly. I've used grunt before but not for maybe 6-8 years so the pain is only in the sense of setting it up and getting my head back in to it.

Is there a reason why STACK version 4.4.4 that is not longer available as a downloadable Previous Version of STACK?

Regards,

Stuart