Different Grade Letters for Different Assignments within the same Course

Different Grade Letters for Different Assignments within the same Course

by Mosh Shigdar -
Number of replies: 7
Hi folks,

Moodle v4.2.1.

I have a bit a bit of problem. My institute runs a C&G course with 7 assignments ... 4 are pass only, but the 3 are pass/merit/distinction ... I need to use the grade letters "resubmit"/"Pass" or "Resubmit"/"Pass"/"Merit"/Distinction" depending on which assignment it is on the SAME course.

My issue is that I can't work out how to do this with my current settings at assignment and/or course level ... is there a way? or is there an add-in that will allow me to do it.

Any advice you can give me, thank each and every one of you in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mosh Shigdar

Re: Different Grade Letters for Different Assignments within the same Course

by Dave Foord -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Mosh - there is no problem having different 'scales' for different assignments in the same course - I do this all of the time. If you haven't already you need to get someone with admin rights to create the scales for you, then when you add the assignment to the course, you chose the scale that you want and then identify the pass grade - which in your case would be the number '2' for both scales.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Dave Foord

by Mosh Shigdar -
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply ... I do have admin rights ... I am just not sure on how to make it work for me.

So, I'll give two assignments as examples:
- Assignment 1 - pass only, so, a "pass" would be 60% of the marks or higher, otherwise a "resubmit" would be between 0% and 59.99%.
- Assignment 2 - has pass, merit, distinction grades, so, a "distinction" would be 70% or above, a "merit" would be between 65% and 69.99%, a "pass" would be between 60% and 64.99%, a "resubmit" would be between 0% and 59.99%.

And finally, each assignment has a different number of total marks that can be achieved.

That is what I currently can't get to work together in the same course ... the two different types of grade, using "grade letters" or "scales" (which I have looked at now thanks to you).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
In reply to Mosh Shigdar

by Dave Foord -
Ah - I see, so to clarify - are you wanting the tutors to mark the work as a percentage, but for Moodle to then convert this into the corresponding word on the different scales?
In reply to Dave Foord

by Mosh Shigdar -
Each assignment has a defined "Marking Guide", with each question having an allocated number of marks.

So, for example, an assignment has a maximum of 80 marks ... the tutor will go through the assignment and mark the assignment, at the end the learner will have a number of marks for the assignment ... so, for instance, if the marks the learner had ended up totalling say 54 out of 80 (that would equate to 67.5% of the total marks available) ... and if it was a pass only assignment, that would give a "Pass" grade (as it is over 60%), but if it was pass/merit/distinction assignment, the same mark would give a "Merit" (as it between 65% and 69.99%).

I hope that clarifies enough for you smile
In reply to Mosh Shigdar

by Q Peiffer -
Hi hi! I think the feature you're looking for is called an "Outcome".  Here's the MoodleDoc for it.

Outcomes will allow you to create a small grade item that has a text item associated it with it—such as "Resubmit", or "Pass".  You attach the Outcome to the Assignment, and then two items are displayed in the gradebook: one for the outcome, and one for the Assignment.  This will allow you to retain using score/marking guide grading on the Assignment, while also enabling you to create a kind of "grade letter" attached.  Instructors manually select the outcome for the item, and to make sure it's clear, you'll probably want to do some gradebook reorganization.

Here's a basic idea of what that looks like:
This details the gradebook setup page in Moodle, and shows four rows, with two Assignment grade items and a paired Outcome.

I believe you can define these at the course-level.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Q Peiffer

by Mosh Shigdar -
Thank you so much for your reply ... I'll have a look into it ... I was looking for something that once setup was completely automated and did not require tutor manual intervention, however, if there turns out that there is no other solution available, I'm sure the other tutors will get onboard with it.

So, still looking for a solution to my issue that I can just set and forget ... anyone else have any ideas on how I could do it?

Again, all suggestions and help is appreciated smile
In reply to Mosh Shigdar

by Gregor McNish -
You can do this with scales, but it would be fiddly.
scales can have any number of entries (afaik), so you can define a scale with 100 entries, corresponding to a %
ie
distinction scale resubmit,resubmit,resubmit (59 times), pass,pass,pass,pass,pass,merit,merit,merit,merit,merit, distinction...
the grade on the marking guide would be scaled to the number of items in the scale to give the result. You'd never want to use simple/direct marking with this of course. And you'd want to test the edge cases to make sure they're working properly.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)