Proposed changes to sharing questions between courses - Introduction [1/5]

Re: Proposed changes to sharing questions between courses - Introduction [1/5]

by Zabelle Motte -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hello,

In our university (40 000 students and 3000 professors) the questions sharing raises and we are facing to limits of sharing questions at course category level. I have been reading the discussions while considering the challenge of question sharing between a lot of teachers and a lot of courses.
Some precautions need to be taken while sharing questions so that it does not become a mess !

Here are my ideas while trying to make it simple :
  • enable teachers to create several questions banks in one course make it possible to create sets of question with specific meaning that will make them more easily reused; it is a very good idea;
  • making the question bank an entity at course level seems a very good idea, because it makes it possible to use questions in other activities than quizzes; I do not understant why it needs to be possible to create questions at quiz level; such question bank at quiz level will be difficult to share, and will lead to a lot of helpdesk; when a quiz, lesson, ... is created, teacher should have the choice to use an existing question bank at course level or to create a new question bank at course level; what is the advantage of having a question bank at quiz level ?
  • enable teachers to share questions based on individual permissions seems to me completely unreallistic and impossible to manage while there are teacher changes in courses and our moodle is very big;
  • I propose question banks to be shared to all other Moodle teachers or not shared;
  • a shared question bank may be managed only by teachers in the source course or in the source course category.
  • it would be great to make it possible for a teacher using a shared question bank to comment an existing question, and the question owner should view comments on that question (studentquiz enables such functionnality); such functionnality may help to avoid questions duplication;
  • to give meaning to the question bank sharing, it should be possible for some restricted role to define categories to sort shared questions banks, and when a teacher shares a question bank he has to choose the sharing category in a predefined list of categories;
    so the idea is to have a new category concept : categories for questions banks in addition to categories for questions; and analog permissions should exist on question bank categories (add, edit, move, ...)
  • when a question of a shared question bank is used somewhere, question bank may no more be unshared and used questions may not be suppressed, but the owners is still able to create new questions and new versions of the existing questions
  • when a teacher decides to use random questions in a category from a shared question bank, he has to select which questions are used; so that the owner may still add questions in his question bank category without causing surprising new question for users using the shared question category. Ideally, a teacher using a shared question category should be informed when a new question is added in this category so that he may decide to use it or not (some flag should be added telling that there are new questions)
  • when a course is suppressed, its shared question banks are not suppressed.
  • admin should be able to list all unused shared questions banks; to list question bank with no parent course; to add a parent course to an orphant question bank.
I have no solution to the backup and restore question that is an other big challenge. But I hope these suggestions may help.

Kisses,

Zabelle

Average of ratings: Useful (3)