Boost Union questions

Boost Union questions

by Wiebke Müller -
Number of replies: 49
Picture of Testers
Dear users of the Boost Union theme,

we kindly invite you to use this thread in case of any questions you might have. We are a team of many (sometimes power) users of Boost Union and will try to answer or collectively according to our measures. If any other users know answers or a quicker, don't hesitate to answer.

Thank you for using Boost Union anyway!

Regards on behalf of the team
Wiebke Müller

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wiebke Müller

Re: Boost Union questions

by Srednja Zdravstvena -

Hello,

I'm sure that there is a documentation writen for this issue but I can't seem to find the right answer.

I have installed the Boost Union theme on my Moodle site, but I can't seem to find the option where the Top Navbar would show current users First and Last name credentials, only the profile picture is visible, but i would like to show users First and Last name with it.

Ive added a picture on what i want it to show, right now it only shows the profile picture

Attachment 280023323-ab04b280-24c2-4c42-8a42-338a66e0fce2.png

by Chris Kenniburg -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Is there a doc on creating a grandchild theme? Or even a starter set of files for Boost Union that would allow for a grandchild theme?

In reply to Chris Kenniburg

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out in this forum thread! We hoped that people would find it and write here zwinkernd

As for the child theme support, it is a very good time to ask hence there is currently work in progress here https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union_child/. And I just double-checked with the DEV team, it will be worthwile to wait briefly since we expect to get an update and related documentation in roundabout 2 weeks. Meanwhile feel free to also check on these issues here on improving the overall infrastructure of Boost Union child theme development.

Best regards from Hanover in Germany!
Wiebke

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Chris Kenniburg -
Hello Wiebke,
My main concerns are loading SCSS such as in the get_pre_scss function and being able to add in variables
 $configurable = [
        // Config key => [variableName, ...].
        'brandcolor' => ['primary'],
        'bootstrapcolorsuccess' => ['success'],
        'bootstrapcolorinfo' => ['info'],
        'bootstrapcolorwarning' => ['warning'],
        'bootstrapcolordanger' => ['danger'],
        // Begin DBN Update.
        'navbarbg' => ['navbar-bg'],
        'navbarlink' => ['navbar-link'],
        'navbarlinkhover' => ['navbar-link-hover'],
        'navbarsitetitlecolor' => ['navbarsitetitlecolor'],
        'drawerbg' => ['drawer-bg'],
        'bodybg' => ['body-bg'],
        'bgwhite' => ['bg-white'],
        'bgdark' => ['bg-dark'],
        'courseheaderbg' => ['courseheaderbg'],
        'pagenavbuttonsbg' => ['pagenavbuttonsbg'],
        'courseboxheight' => ['courseboxheight'],
        'courseboxheight' => ['courseboxheight'],
        // End DBN Update.
        'activityiconcoloradministration' => ['activity-icon-administration-bg'],
        'activityiconcolorassessment' => ['activity-icon-assessment-bg'],
        'activityiconcolorcollaboration' => ['activity-icon-collaboration-bg'],
        'activityiconcolorcommunication' => ['activity-icon-communication-bg'],
        'activityiconcolorcontent' => ['activity-icon-content-bg'],
        'activityiconcolorinterface' => ['activity-icon-interface-bg'],
    ];

As well as information on how to add functions to a output>core_renderer.php to add new functionality into template files.
Thank you for responding! 
Chris

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Chris,

many thanks for reaching out to us about Boost Union.
I am one of the maintainers as you may know and Wiebke pinged me about your post smile

As Wiebke said, we are currently working on a boilerplate for Boost Union Child Themes which will be published on https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union_child and which will be accompanied by some better child theme support in one of the next Boost Union releases as well. This is mainly based on the work by Daniel Poggenpohl who built the earlier boilerplate which you found on https://github.com/danowar2k/moodle-theme_boost_union_child and is based on ongoing child-theme discussions in the german-speaking higher education community as well. Please allow us some more days to finish our first release of the boilerplate and we will then be happy to discuss specific details with you.
There is also a Matrix channel about Boost Union child themes. If you have Matrix and are interested in getting in touch with us there, just send me a PM here on moodle.org with your Matrix name and I will invite you.

PS: I recently became aware that you forked Boost Union and used it as basis for theme_learnr. While we are proud to see that Boost Union serves as your theme's foundation, I am still somehow torn about this move as I would have loved to receive some of your well-thought-out features as pull request for Boost Union instead and to see your other, more specialiced requirements realized in a child theme instead of a fork.
Can I understand your question in a way that you plan to rebuild theme_learnr as a real Boost Union Child theme instead of a fork?

Cheers,
Alex
In reply to Alexander Bias

by Chris Kenniburg -
Hello Alex,
Yes, initially I was just forking the theme for expediency and lack of time. I'd like to keep my work as part of Boost Union and be able to add the couple of extra features and styling as a child theme instead of forking it outright. That is why I am seeking to merge back under a proper child theme for Boost Union after hearing about better support and a template to get started.

You guys have the best theme out there for Moodle and I make it a point to share that as much as possible. If I can continue to do what I need as a proper child-theme then I would gladly jump on board with a LearnR child theme of Boost Union.

My main concern is to be able to use a core_renderer to output code to templates and the ability to add variables as described above to get_pre_scss function.

I guess all of this is to say that I hope to be able to put these features into a child theme and do things properly to help support Boost Union. I am hopeful that if I can package my features into a child theme that I can make one of the next releases of LearnR a proper Child Theme of Boost Union.

I am excited to try and port my stuff into a Boost Union Child theme and I am hopeful someone might help if I run into an issue?

Thanks,
Chris
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chris Kenniburg -
I should point out I am making great progress with the styling and color choosers. I've been able to take your template and figure out some of my questions. Adding the output core_renderer is next. I'll need that to add the features we are accustomed to.

by Chris Kenniburg -
So this evening at home I was able to get enough time to dig into this a bit more and I've gotten the core_renderer working too. I guess I didn't realize I could do a Grand Child theme and I am regretting forking Boost Union. I will wait for more developments on your github for the more polished grandchild theme template but I think I already have a way to port over my enhancements and styling into it.

I plan to halt LearnR and share out this new Boost Union child theme. I am actually pretty excited about this! If it wasn't for your new info graphic promoting grand child themes to Boost Union then I wouldn't have known this was possible. I have always heard there were issues with child of child themes but In a matter of two days I was able to have some big success with your template on github.

This is great and I hope to contribute properly with the Boost Union project moving forward. From what I can tell there is no loss of functionality by moving in this new direction for me.

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Chris,

it's great news that you were able to rebuild your LearnR theme as a Boost Union child theme! And I am glad that we could leverage this transition by proving the Boost Union Child boilerplate!

I would just like to ask you to have a look at the latest status of the boilerplate as we have just finished our work for the boilerplate today and there have been some changes (especially for inheriting SCSS from Boost Union into Boost Union Child) recently which you might not have adopted yet.

Cheers,
Alex
In reply to Alexander Bias

by Chris Kenniburg -
Thank you Alex for the advice. I looked it over and I think I was able to grab your boilerplate when it was well enough down the road that the new LearnR child theme gets all the important inheritances from Boost Union.

I sent this in an email to Wiebke, but I'll post it here too:

Boost Union is an awesome theme.  It is so much more than just colors and styles.  It changes the functionality of Moodle to benefit users and adds features and functionality that help aid in the process of delivering content and using Moodle.  I am very happy for the work done to provide a template for creating a child theme.  Boost Union is a true gem in the Moodle community.  

Thank you for the hard work put into Boost Union by all the organizations.  

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Just wanted to write a big thank you for the Boost Union theme, which is very useful for us, allowing simply to make several (functionnal) changes.

Latest update allows us to personnalise our authentication page, without modifying mustache templates, and only with some selection, and little CSS lines and language personnalization, we can have only CAS authentication for most people, and a little link to the manual auth page (for people really needing it).

This answers my needs explained in this other discussion, and now support future updates without needing to re-do changes each time.

We still have lots of options to test, to explore all possibilities...

Thanks a lot smile
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Thank you Sévérin and also Chris for your recent posts. That's very nice of you to mention! Actually we are planning to do another MUA talk sharing the recent development of Boost Union (as part of the town hall community meeting Tuesday, 2 April, 10:00 AM CEST » 11:00 AM CEST). So if you're participating in MUA, we'd be more than happy to go into more details on this occasion. We will also share some aspects of our community work all around the maintenance of the theme and last but not least we're still a growing team. Especially on the side of peer reviewing external PRs we're still "hiring" volunteers zwinkerndSo have a great rest of week and we'll stay in touch! Wiebke

Problem with menues

by Amit Bartfeld -
Inside a course when I click on a menu, it shows like this:

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I just installed the theme and I did not configure anything. Can someone maybe help me understand how to fix that? As for now when I click the menu items with the little arrows it just does nothing.
I'm new to using this theme and generally kind of new to moodle, although I do have some experience with Moodle. The normal boost theme lucks a lot of basic features and menus I need so I'm trying to use Boost Union but I got this. I hope there's an easy solution for this.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

In reply to Amit Bartfeld

Re: Problem with menues

by Luiggi Sansonetti -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Amit

Have you a single activity course format ?

If yes, I have the same behaviour about it (Questionnaire)
In reply to Luiggi Sansonetti

by Thorsten Bartel -
Picture of Core developers
Hey Amit and Luiggi,

this seems to be a known issue and as per the comments seems to be planned for integration within the next dev-cycle:
https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union/issues/415

If you want to stay informed, feel free to subscribe to the issue on GitHub.
In reply to Thorsten Bartel

by Alexander Bias -
Hi all,

I would like to mention quickly that this #415 issue has been fixed this week in the latest Boost Union release.
I am really sorry that it took us so long to fix it finally.

Cheers,
Alex

by Andreas Giesen -
Describe the bug
Trying to install v4.1-r18 on Moodle 4.1+ (Build: 20221209) All dependencies should be met, but I cannot install the version for 4.1. The version for Moodle 4.0 works, but has less features.

I tried to trick it by changing the dependencies in the version.php to see what happens, but it does not make a difference.

What could be causing this, if the dependencies actually are met?

By now I have upgraded to the newest Moodle 4.1.8+ today and the dependency-check still fails for v4.1-r18

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Dear users of the Boost Union theme,

we are happy to announce the following releases:

The Boost Union release v4.3-r6 focuses on important infrastructure changes aiming at improving the technical workflow to create child themes out of Boost Union. Please check the release notes for further information. As already mentioned in the discussion above, the related boilerplate for Boost Union Child Themes is about to be finished as well.

In addition to this a long awaited usability plus has been added to the course index. Users will now recognize at a glance which activity type is linked from the course index. The integration of the monochrome activity icon as a visual anchor fits in seamlessly with the activity title and also respects the visualisation of the activity completion status. The feature can be activated via admin/settings.php?section=theme_boost_union_look#theme_boost_union_look_course. We are happy to hear your feedback on this!

Screenshot of Boost union - course index with acitivity icon

The most recent release v4.3-r7 contains a bugfix that gets rid of the unnecessary second level of navigation items within the single activity format.
https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_boost_union/v4.3-r7/31209

Kind regards on behalf of the Boost Union team!
Wiebke
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Chris Kenniburg -
I really appreciate your work on the boiler plate child theme for Boost Union. That made it so easy to create enhancements!

I did notice one bug in a child theme it didn't inherit the activity icons in the course index. Specifically the settings to change how the completion is displayed. I tried changing the icon color settings and it had no effect on the child theme.

by Alexander Bias -
Hi Chris,

you're welcome smile

Regarding the bug which you mentioned, I would like to tell you that the activity icons which have been added to the course index just recently don't get the activity color. Currently, they are either just monochrome or get the color of the activities's completion status.
So this is not a bug in Boost Union Child, it is intended functionality in Boost Union.

However, showing the activity icon color in the course index as well (instead of the completion status color) might be a useful additional feature for Boost Union. Don't hesitate to report that on https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union/issues.

Cheers,
Alex

by Alexander Bias -
Dear Boost Union users,

as already announced by Wiebke some days ago, we have worked on a Boost Union Child boilerplate throughout the last few weeks.
The boilerplate is published on https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union_child.

This is just a quick heads-up to tell you that our work has reached a first release status now.
The most important thing is that Boost Union Child should be 100% compatible with Boost Union and should not break any Boost Union features.
On top of this, you should be able to implement your own local features in addition to all Boost Union features.

We have added some documentation and example code to the boilerplate and welcome any improvement proposals and code contributions.

Cheers,
Alex

by John Leonard -
Hi,

We are currently looking to switch our organization theme to Boost Union. It is a great theme and the customizability is brilliant and suits our needs. There is one thing I can not figure out though. We are looking to use the course cards within "course/index.php" to display the courses listed in categories. The course cards are used on our dashboard for course overview (fig 1 below), but i can not figure out how to implement it onto the "course/index.php" page (fig 2). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

FIg 1: course card on Dashboard.

Fig 2. View of course on "course/view.php"

Thanks

John
In reply to John Leonard

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Hi John,

thanks for your interest in Boost Union and for your question! This is actually being worked on right now. We were lucky to receive a PR from the community which is currently under review. Please check the links below if you're interested in this! Since we're currently running on our limits with the review team, it might still take some time but we're hoping to see this integrated in one of the next releases.

Regards
Wiebke

by John Leonard -
Thanks Wiebke for the reply.

I had a look at those links and applied the changes that are shown in https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union/pull/555/files, creating the new files and making the edits to existing files. But i think I'm missing a step somewhere. The options become visible in the settings, but its not pulling the text properly and the course cards are not appearing in /course. I have 2 local versions of Moodle, v4.1 and v4.3 (our live instance is 4.1) and have applied the changes on both to the latest theme release (v4.1-r24 & v4.3-r11), but have the same issue on both moodles. Any ideas?

In reply to John Leonard

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Hi John,

I apologize for maybe having misled you in my wording "check the links". This really is still work in progress and we would recommend you use the feature only after it has been integrated in one of the next Boost Union releases. As soon as this task is accomplished we will in any case update the issue and you will notice when you subcribe to the issue https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union/issues/558. This is what I meant with check the link.

Regards!
Wiebke

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hello,

With the too many settings, this is really a wonderful theme, it has some features that paid themes do not have, but at the same time it could be missing things.

I am trying to use an image on the homepage to fill all the page, either as a background or a content image but to fill the page as a slide or banner; the banner and slider in the content section does not help as they do not fill the whole page. I hope to see this in future versions.

For now, is there a quick fix to use a background image to fill the page?

Thanks,
In reply to Ezzeddin Hamed

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Hi Ezzeddin.

Thanks for getting in touch. Please search for the term "General background images" - this will lead you to the upload field for a general background image. Navigationwise you will find it in the section "look" and then "site branding" admin/settings.php?section=theme_boost_union_look#theme_boost_union_look_sitebranding. 

Hope this helps!

Regards
Wiebke

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hi Wiebke,

Thanks a lot. This does help, it shows as a full page background, which is good, but I want it like this on the front page only leaving all other pages without an image background and just keep it white.

Is there any CSS code that may help in this?

Thanks a lot,

Ezzeddin

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Hello Ezzeddin,

I'm afraid that at the moment there is no such code snippet at hand in the project team.  However, it might fall off any other day of any other peoples coding trees. If so, please crowd, let us know via this forum thread!

Best
Wiebke

by John Leonard -
Hi Ezzeddin,

This CSS code might work, would need to insert the url and play around with the positioning and other background settings etc, but the id value only apply to site home page.

#page-site-index{
background-image: url('insert url');
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;
background-size: cover;
}
In reply to John Leonard

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hi John,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, it did not actually need any changes, just the image URL and it worked fine.

I needed to hide the site title on the front page, so knowing the css page reference made it an easy step.

I used the following which has don the tick.
#page-site-index .main-inner-wrapper{
display: none !important;
}

Thanks a lot,

by John Leonard -
Hi Ezzeddin,

No problem at all. Glad it worked for you smile.

John
In reply to John Leonard

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hi John,

Thanks again. Another question, is there any idea if I could have more than one background for different languages, for example one background if the user selected Arabic, another background if the user selects English.

Regards,

by John Leonard -
Hi Ezzeddin,

You could try something like this. Styling only applies if its that language.

Arabic:

[lang=ar] #page-site-index{
background-image: url('insert arabic url');
}

English

[lang=en] #page-site-index{
background-image: url('insert english url');
}

with no language defined and it will just use the default values.

#page-site-index{
background-image: url('insert default url');
}

Might need a bit of tweaking but hopefully it would work.

John
In reply to John Leonard

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
John, you are marvelous, thanks a lot.

On the same principle, I worked on the login page to change the logo on that page specifically without changing the main logo image, I used the code:
.login-container .login-logo{
content: url('/pix/-local/login-logo.jpg') !important;
}

Thanks again for you help John,
In reply to John Leonard

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hi John,

I need to change a couple of things on the enrolment options page at /enrol/index.php, I can do some changes that are in CSS, but I am not able to find the page reference CSS code similar to (#page-site-index).

What would be the reference for this page?
Is there any list that shows references for other pages?

Thanks a lot,

UPDATE FOR THIS POST:
I found the code as #page-enrol-index, I have done a couple of things on it, but still there is a wording that says "Enrolment options" which used h2 tag under maincontent, I want to remove this wording on this page, but could not reach the CSS code to do so.

Would you help please?

Thanks a lot,

by John Leonard -

Hi Ezzeddin,

Glad you found the page reference for enrol/index.php. Regarding the wording "Enrolment options", there doesnt appear to be any class or id assigned to that h2 tag so CSS probably wouldnt work. But you could edit the language pack to change the text. Crude but it might work for you.

Go to Site admin -> General -> Language -> Language customisation. 
Select the language pack you wish to load. (in my case it was English(en))
Select all files (shown in attached image) and search for the text you wish to edit (in this case "Enrolment options").
Enter replacement text and save. You could just put a space in so that the text is removed.

Hope that works for you.

John

Attachment Language pack edit.png
In reply to John Leonard

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hi John,

I already know this, I thought it might affect the text in other pages, so it was better with CSS, I noticed that it is only an h2 tag without any CSS, at the end, I ended changing it in language settings using HTML entity space ( ), it left some blank space, but this is fine.

Thanks a lot,
In reply to John Leonard

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
John,
In reference to your post which includes:
[lang=en] #page-site-index{
background-image: url('insert english url');
}
How can I use it like:
[lang=en] #page-course-index{

}
In the course index page at /course/ and /course/index.php?categoryid=12
I found "coursebox" as the class which shows the course details in the category listing of courses.

What I want to do is when the user select "English" to show only courses that are forced in "English", therefor I can modify to make it for "Arabic" as well.

Is there a way to do this in CSS like the previous CSS code?

Thanks a lot,

by John Leonard -

Hi Ezzeddin,

I'm pretty sure it cant be done via CSS (i'm open to correction), but its sounds like it would need a database query to display only courses which have a specific language forced. Like only displaying courses you are enrolled in.

John

by Hans B0s -
Hi,
I'm using Moodle version 4.1 with the Boost Union theme installed.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I think that the Boost Union Theme is highly configurable but ...
I would like to have, for example that the list of courses in a categorie is presented to the user as Tiles. Is this possible with the Boost Union Thema?
To what extend is the theme programmable and are there somewhere examples that explain how to do this?
Thanks,
Hans
In reply to Hans B0s

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Hi Hans!

Thank you for your question. The feature you seem to have in mind is currently under construction, please see also the comment here https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=452129#p1837022.
We hope to be able to finish work on this in a not so far future release wink

Also there is a Boost Union child theme boilerplate which has quite recently been crafted explicitely for the users who wish to make local amendments, see more info on this here:
https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union_child

Regards on behalf of the Boost Union team!
Wiebke

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hello,

I am setting the front page. I have enabled "additional block regions" for the front page. The front page will be empty, there will be only a background, which is already set.

I want only to add one block on the front page that is near the bottom of the page, like a footer or a little above the footer. I tried different regions, none of them showed the block at or near the bottom of the page, what I am thinking is that because the page is empty, the block is not going down; in any case, I want to push this block to the bottom.

How I would achieve this?

On the other hand, even though that it is given the default permissions, it is not showing on the front page for users or visitors. How to fix it? Later, I would not allow anyone to edit or remove, except admins.

Thanks a lot for any help.

Regards,

by Wiebke Müller -
Picture of Testers
Hi Ezzeddin,

great to see your making huge progress in the setup of your site! Just one idea from the top of my head, we just fixed the footer so it can handly paragraph breaks, see also here. Maybe this already helps so you can use the footer for the content you want to place?

https://moodle.org/plugins/theme_boost_union/v4.3-r12/31798
https://github.com/moodle-an-hochschulen/moodle-theme_boost_union/issues/623

Plus: The footer is always visible no matter if you're logged in or not.

Regards on behalf of the Boost Union team!
Wiebke

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hi Wiebke,

Thanks for your message. I already have r12.

Unfortunately the footnote was not very useful at this time.
1- In the homepage, it shows on top just below the header, without the white background of the footnote. I am removing everything on the front page and just keeping a background.
2- In the login page, it is fine, it shows well.
3- Inside pages, it is fine, except when a page is shorter than the screen, the footnote jumps to the middle of the page, which is not correct, it should be below all content unless the page is short, it should remain at the bottom.

Anyway to fix this?

On the other hand, it might not be useful to me on the front page only as per my message above, I tried to use blocks because I want the content to be unique for the frontpage only.

I hope to find solutions for both the blocks and the footnote.

Thanks and regards,

by Ezzeddin Hamed -
Hi Wiebke,

Should I report this as an issue?

On the other hand, in the course listing page at /course/, categories are showing and I can click on any category which takes me to the page /course/index.php, both pages are technically the same page.

Both show different layouts, my question, how would I show both as course card view?

If any suggestion to the code or CSS, I am able to manage it.

Thanks,