In Assignments, how to disable edit submission

In Assignments, how to disable edit submission

by Sudhir Singhal -
Number of replies: 3
In the settings of the assignment I selected, additional attempts as Never, still users can edit the submission.

I am using Moodle 4.1.3
Are there any other settings I need to set so that they can not edit the submission once it is done?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sudhir Singhal

Re: In Assignments, how to disable edit submission

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
"Additional attempts" relates to opening up separate attempts, where the previous attempts are kept as a history of submissions.

As students aren't required to mark their assignments as submitted, their existing attempts are still open. So, when you grade their attempt, they are not granted a new attempt, but neither are they prevented from continuing to edit their current attempt.

If you don't want students to have to mark their work as submitted, then you'll have to use the lock option (on the overall grading page) to prevent them changing the submissions.

It would probably be good for Moodle to add an option to lock submissions when graded, but the code doesn't currently support that.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sudhir Singhal

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Just require students to click the submit button -- then when students have submitted, they won't be able to edit.
If required (the dog pressed the submit button!), teachers can unlock so the students can edit and resubmit.

From the above screenshot it looks like submit is disabled by your admin -- they can enable it, and default to No, if most people aren't using this?
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Gregor McNish

by Q Peiffer -
+1 here, changing "Require students to click the submit button" to "Yes" will resolve the issue. It's not changeable here because people have already submitted to the Assignment, not because it's disabled by the admin, however!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)