UX Inconsistancy - Content / Activity description display

UX Inconsistancy - Content / Activity description display

by Bob Gilmore -
Number of replies: 5

All resources / activities have a description setting which can be optionally displayed on the course page:

For most activities, this description is always shown at the top of the resource page:

However, the Page resource (and maybe some others)  has an option to enable or disable this:

It would be fantastic if this option was available for all resource descriptions, maybe as a Common module setting instead of the Appearance settings.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Bob Gilmore

Re: UX Inconsistancy - Content / Activity description display

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Yes, feature consistency above all ! smile

In Books that Description is forced to appear above every chapter, which is a nuisance - so we need the same kind of check option to disable that obtrusive behaviour when it's least wanted.

Not to mention that that there are popular plugins that don't have the option, or have it but it doesn't work - Scheduler, and Questionnaire - from what I remember. I know in such cases we should alert the developers of these plugins to fix the problem, but perhaps Moodle could do with some universal template for that - cf. how "Common module settings" work.

HTH.

Przemek
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Brett Dalton -
Picture of Moodle HQ team
I agree feature consisteny above all is important. Some of this annoyingly is the result of the plugin architecture that Moodle is build on that allows each activity to customise a lot of its own behaviours. I think there might be a wider conversation on how we might constrain some of these in future to help the consistency.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Bob Gilmore

by Nathan Lind -
I would like the "Display description on course page" to always be directly below the Description field, personally.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nathan Lind

by Bob Gilmore -
Im not proposing to move 'Display description on course page' as it's important to be front and centre. More to make the 'Display page description' option available for all modules and if it's appropriate for that to be in Common Module, Appearance or even in the general section with something that makes it super clear whats going on.

> General
Description
[] Display description on course page
[] Display description on resource page

I think having a consistent experience is the key here. I'd love to be able to turn off the display of the description on all resource pages as its usually redundant for me, but I can see other organisations wanting to keep it.