Activity information in course list not recognizing activity as complete but access restrictions does

Activity information in course list not recognizing activity as complete but access restrictions does

by Jim Crammond -
Number of replies: 6
I have a course with activities that are scorm activities. Access to each activity is restricted based on the completion of the previous activity. 

Each activity (apart from the last one) has a small quiz at the end, but it doesn't matter if the student passes or fails, the activity returns "completed" after the quiz is taken so the student can continue on. Only the last activity is there a test that must be "passed" to be complete.

After upgrading from moodle 3.9 to 4.1 I am having to contend with the new activity completion labels in the course activities list. (I would like the old tick boxes back but that is another discussion). The automatic-completion-conditions shows "To do: complete the activity", and yet the access restrictions consider the activity complete and so show the next activity as available to click on.  This is of course very confusing.  It seems that the new activity completion logic determines completion in a different way to access restrictions.

I have found that the masteryoverride setting in scorm is on, and therefore the cmi.core.lesson_status is updated to passed or failed rather than completed, but it seems that regardless the course_modules_completion table contains an entry for the user with completionstate = 1. 

The activity completion settings on each activity is set to "require view" and "require status" = completed

I have not be able to figure out yet how the new activity completion logic determines when an activity is complete.

The screenshot illustrates the issue. The first activity is complete, hence the student is able to start the second one, but the activity information says it is not complete

Attachment Screenshot 2023-08-22 123108.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jim Crammond

Re: Activity information in course list not recognizing activity as complete but access restrictions does

by Rod Spears -
The activity completion settings on each activity is set to "require view" and "require status" = completed

What happens when you remove the "require view" from the completion settings for an activity?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rod Spears

Re: Activity information in course list not recognizing activity as complete but access restrictions does

by Jim Crammond -
Removing "require view"  again results in the "to do: complete the activity" (but the access restriction succeeds and the course completion succeeds as well).

An experiment was to change the completion criteria from "completed" to "passed". In this case the activity information shows it as "done".

I also tried the experiment to have the completion criteria as "completed" but turn off the masteryoverride setting. In this case the activity information also shows it as "done".

It seems, unlike the completion logic, the activity info is sensitive to whether cmi.core.lesson_status is set to "completed" or "passed"/"failed". 
In reply to Jim Crammond

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
SCORM activities are very picky that way. How the SCORM content is created in the publishing software determines which values can be used in the LMS.
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Jim Crammond -
The SCORM publishing software is returning cmi.core.lesson_status "completed" (as I specified). It is moodle that is changing that to "passed" or "failed" based on the SCORM activity also returning a score and masteryoverride being set on. Nevertheless, this is handled by the completion logic that puts a record into the course_modules_completion table indicating the activity is complete.

The activity info mechanism is however not in sync. It is obviously looking at other tables to calculate status, but I've not been able to figure out where it does this.
In reply to Jim Crammond

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Is your scorm giving a grade - what if you just set the restriction to a specific grade?
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Jim Crammond -
If you mean is "require grade" set in the activity completion settings, it is not. The scorm package does return a score but this is not used for completion.

I can mostly solve the issue by turning off masteryoverride. This will work for students starting the course now, but for those part way through or who have completed it and going back to review they will see these confusing activity infos. It would be better if I could identify where it determines the activity status and bring it into line with the completion logic.