Wanted: Test subjects for an easier Goe/Maxima/Pool/STACK installation

Wanted: Test subjects for an easier Goe/Maxima/Pool/STACK installation

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am looking for people who would like to install STACK but want an easier way to install the supporting Maxima CAS service. A pre-requisite is your own AWS ECS account and an awareness of the potential costs.

Hutch (Sociosploit) on Twitter: "No joke. I learned this lesson the hard  way— don't forget to power down your AWS GPU password cracker. The  P3.16xLarge runs at $17,625 for the month 😬. #
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Wanted: Test subjects for an easier Goe/Maxima/Pool/STACK installation

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
For further context I have had an AWS account for several years, mainly for experimenting with STACK/Maxima and the bill has topped out at about $USD9 for a month. But I just wanted people to appreciate that there is a financial cost.  Typically when "just playing" my bill is about $US2 for a month.
In reply to Marcus Green

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Marcus, does it *have* to be Amazon ECS? I'm less inclined towards the "Cloud" and the BIG.

I have access to many generic Linux machines, from dedicated hardware to VM/VPS to Raspberry Pi. I have STACK running in the latter two. The RPi was plain sailing where as the Ubuntu VPS was "exciting".
wink
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marcus Green -
Not at all. It is a docker/docker-compose/goemaxima/nginx proxy/basic auth solution. The AWS thing was to do with offering an AMI (Amazon Machine Image) that would simplify the process even further. However something on dockherhost would probably cover that for a wider range of target platforms. I like the idea of Two MoodleBoxen, one with the stack and one with the Moodle.

My second target was due to be DigitalOcean as that is where I do my own stuff e.g. m.vledevelop.co.uk. My reason for the post was to get some people with no previous experience to find out the flaws in my idea. And then last night I was imagining some additional simplifications. I have been thinking about the idea for a long time and recently put in some time that seemed to progress it. I was chatting with the STACK people at Zurich recently. I will put more documentation together.

I am starting to ramble...

More rambling: It is really about the cloud in the sense of someone elses computer as one of the things is to lock to your moodle server either through i.p. address and or username/password. 
In reply to Marcus Green

Hi Marcus

Wenn you start the project, let me know. I will give it a try - on either a VPS or a dedicated. The OS is Debian 11.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Marcus Green -
I will do that, you have also made me think about how to do it without an internet connection for the install (e.g. MoodleBox). On a related subject have you been looking at the formulas question type?
In reply to Marcus Green

Hi Marcus

The RPi running Moodle and STACK I mentioned above is not a MoodleBox, it is plain Raspberry Pi OS and LEMP on it - facing the Internet with a proper domain and a public IP address.

When I think of it, I don't see a reason why STACK won't fit in to a MoodleBox. If it is connected to the Internet during installation things are easier, I can think of doing it without Internet using the client machine as the stepping stone.

Formulas question type: Dominique has make an unbeatable case for Forumulas here. Right now I accumulated an unhealthy dose of on-line projects. Will have a careful look once I recover. ;)

by Marcus Green -
Although STACK may fit in a Moodlebox, I was thinking that for performance purposes it might be desirable to have a "sidecar" rpi for running the service for the Maxima CAS (e.g. goemaxima). But like you I am getting very much ahead of myself.