Math problems in Moodle

Re: Math problems in Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
I found three problems, first, personalizing became time too consuming to set up and maintain. I stepped back to more generic groups, that was far more successful. Two, testing results became messy in general comparisons, also time consuming, so again used more generic tests for different learning groups. Three, student attitudes were somewhat negative, initially, to this approach. We are on a national curriculum so I had to be very careful to remain within that format and learning structure. When I started using videos, in a flipped learning manner, students became far more responsive. Added to that, the more obviously work related mathematics I pitched to them were quickly accepted and became successful. For example, I understand diesel mechanics use trigonometry, so I pitched a couple of problems to each group about calculating the stroke of a piston, using trig to solve the length of a stroke. Then I stepped back and showed them the trig theory behind it. None of this would have been possible, let alone successful, without the resources being easily available within the Moodle. In some parts I used Groups, in others I used meta courses, took a bit of work to set it up, but I had one former student complain to me recently about him still remembering trig!
And btw, more recent investigations have revealed that a lot of education psychology is essentially a dud, that it still comes down to classroom management and engagement. (Don't hate me, I'm just a messenger!)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)