Feedback not updating after being modified on student attempts (both in PRTs and general feedback)

Feedback not updating after being modified on student attempts (both in PRTs and general feedback)

by Abigail Pied -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,

My university just upgraded moodle to moodle 4, and after students took a moodle quiz I noticed some things were not functioning the same as before.
The quiz they took was a pre-existing question (made before the upgrade), which already had some feedback written. After the students took the test, I was trying to modify the feedback (both in the PRTs and in the general feedback), and after saving and reloading students attempts previews, I saw that the feedback was not updating, and showing the old one.

I was trying this out last night and did not have the time to check if this was a STACK specific behaviour or if the MCQs behaved the same, and moodle is down as part of the upgrade so I can only check tomorrow.

Has anybody experienced something like this before, and if so how can this be solved?

Thanks,
Abigail
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abigail Pied

Re: Feedback not updating after being modified on student attempts (both in PRTs and general feedback)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a common finding, I am afraid. It has been discussed a lot in the Quiz forum.

The short answer is: after editing the question, you need to go to Quiz settings -> Results -> Grades, and re-grade all the attempts. Then they will be updated, if that is what you want.

To make the situation better, we are working on: MDL-77745 (make the version of the questoin used in this attempt clear - work is well under way here.) MDL-78547 an idea that was only thought of recently. Work not started yet. We may think of other imrovements after those.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Feedback not updating after being modified on student attempts (both in PRTs and general feedback)

by Abigail Pied -
Thanks for the answering.
I thought I tried that but perhaps I was only doing a dry-run of a regrade. I'll try again when moodle is back.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Abigail Pied -
I have a follow up question actually, from looking at your links, I can see this is due to moodle creating a new version of the question with each new save. Before the upgrade, when students spotted a mistake in the question text, it was possible to correct it and save it, and then it would display on the students attempt next time the reloaded the page (while still attempting the quiz), does this mean that this will no longer be possible in moodle 4?
In reply to Abigail Pied

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That is correct.

You can re-grade in-progress attempts, but it might be risky to do that while students are actively working on the quiz. (I don't know. It should be safe, but I would worry about race conditions in the code. I don't think it has been tested much.)

We might think about having a way to bring this opton back for informal quizzes, but it is tricky.