PHP version compatibility of STACK and associated plugins

PHP version compatibility of STACK and associated plugins

by Stuart Anderson -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

This summer I need to upgrade multiple different parts of my moodle-STACK environment.  My moodle environment exists ONLY to run STACK quizzes.  The work I'm undertaking includes:

STEP 1

• Migrate the apache moodle, MariaDB and Maxima server from CentOS based servers to new Ubuntu based servers
  • Update PHP from 7.4.33 to 8.0
  • Update MariaDB to the latest version
  • Likely move from MaximaPool to goemaxima
  • Migrate my current 3.11.9 moodle install across which has STACK 4.3.11 and older versions of associated plugins (see step 2).
  • Do performance testing.

STEP 2

• Update moodle from 3.11.9 to 4.1.x
  • Currently on STACK 4.3.11 but plan to updateto the latest version 4.4.4.
  • Also update:
    • Adaptive mode (multi-part questions) 4.3.7 (2020103000) but will move to 4.3.8 (2022092200)
    • Deferred feedback with CBM and explicit validation 4.2.1 (2018080600) but will move to 4.2.2 (2022092200)
    • Deferred feedback with explicit validation 4.2.1 (2018080600) but will move to 4.2.2 (2022092200)
  • Do performance testing.

After STEP 1, my current 3.11.9 moodle will be setup and then we'll run performance tests to ensure that the change of server OS, PHP and MariaDB versions has not introduced new issues.

After STEP 2 when we upgrade to moodle 4.1.x and STACK 4.2.11, we'll run performance tests again.

My question concerns PHP version compatibility with the STACK question type and the three associated question behaviour plugins.

1. Do both STACK v4.3.11 and STACK v4.4.4 support PHP 8.0?
  2. Do the older and planned newer versions of the three question behaviours (as listed above) also both support PHP 8.0?

I'm keen to avoid an unexpected issues during my migration and appreciate your advice.

Thanks and best wishes,

Stuart Anderson.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stuart Anderson

Re: PHP version compatibility of STACK and associated plugins

by Christopher Sangwin -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Stuart,

STACK v4.3.11 is now obsolete - I'm aware of some PHP notices related to changes in string functions with PHP 8.0. These should not be a show-stopper, but I'm not supporting STACK v4.3.11 any more.

STACK 4.4.4 will work with PHP 8.0

We have github actions running CI with a variety of PHP, and moodle versions. A recent run on the master branch is here
https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/actions/runs/5188684004

We're currently testing PHP 7.2, 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1. We've included Moodle 3.9, 3.11, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and master. Both Mariadb and postgress are included. If you email me, I can certainly add a line in the CI (temporarily perhaps) with your required combination.

The behaviours do work with PHP 8.0 and if I become aware of any problems I'll fix them quickly. Edinburgh will be running with Moodle 4.1, and STACK 4.4.4 in 2023-24.

Chris
In reply to Christopher Sangwin

Re: PHP version compatibility of STACK and associated plugins

by Stuart Anderson -
Thanks Chris, this is a great help. We really do need to bring our version of STACK up to date. I think that last year I wasn't really to jump on the 4.4.0 version as it came in just slightly too late after I was already committed to version 4.3.11. It was also my first year of being responsible for a STACK and moodle upgrade so I was being super cautious.

It all goes to plan, Manchester will join Endinburgh on Moodle 4.1 and STACK 4.4.4 plus hopefully also make the jump over to goemaxima.

Best wishes,
Stuart