Course Completion using course grade total based on passing grades versus activity completion

Course Completion using course grade total based on passing grades versus activity completion

Phil Everist發表於
Number of replies: 0
Moodle 3.9
The workplace courses in my environment often change with new grading activities often added  or swapped (i.e. a  Quiz gets replaced by a graded SCORM activity). 

To avoid the issues of resetting course completion when activities change and losing previous completion dates, I encourage course developers to set course completion  based on Course Total and use a category with grade type = None to store any graded item to exclude from the course total.  I  prefer the course completion block to list activities to be completed rather than the blunt course grade = 100 AND course developers tend to intuitively use this option BUT avoiding resetting course completion dates is the bigger issue)

This  works OK  until a course isn't based on 100% in all activities for a course total of 100% and there is a mix of  passing grades for the individual graded items  - if 2 activities need 100% and 2 activities need 80% , what is the best way to still use course grade total that works on the passing grades of each graded item:
  • I could use a blunt average of 95% but 100%, 100%, 70% (fail) and 90%  (pass) would also pass the course
  • I am aware it's possible to use calculated activity totals to treat a passing grade as 100% (e.g. if item grade > 80% set to 100%  to allow setting the course completion criteria to course total 100%)  

Is there a more elegant way (and easier for course creators to use)  to manage mixed passing grades when using course total as the course completion criteria? 

Any suggestions welcome.