How to create courses with identical names?

How to create courses with identical names?

by Nigel King -
Number of replies: 8
Hello everyone
My institution is in the process of setting up Moodle LMS and I am seeking guidance. How do I create courses with identical names or how do I differentiate among the courses with the same name. 
We have many instances where the same course is taught by different lectures each in separate classrooms to different students and lecturers who teach the same course to different sets of students. 

Thanks for your feedback.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nigel King

Re: How to create courses with identical names?

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
IMHO -
First course -
Course fullname = Math Fundamentals 101
Course shortname = Instructor name or Classroom 204
Course ID = MF101-204

second course -
Course fullname = Math Fundamentals 101
Course shortname = Instructor name or Classroom 206
Course ID = MF101-206

I believe this would work - if fullname requires unique - concatenate the Clasroom ID to the fullname, such as Math Fundamentals 101-Room 204

Kind Regards
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Nigel King -
Hi Shirley,
Thanks for the guidance.. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,
Nigel
In reply to Nigel King

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
If the courses are identical in terms of content, then duplicating them is not a good idea for consistency when it comes to updating. Have you considered the Group / Cohort functionality?
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Nigel King -
Much thanks Gareth. I will look into it..
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Michael Hughes -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Just an aside, but if you use the "Copy Course" option Moodle will actually maintain unique "fullnames" (adding a "Copy X" to the end).

It's not enforced however as  you can go back in and make the fullname the same as another course.
In reply to Michael Hughes

by Nigel King -
Much appreciated Michael. I will investigate..
In reply to Nigel King

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
There is all sorts of methods to do this, but the simplest is the best. I have always used Course Meta Links when in this kind of situation. This becomes easy to make updates, or any other change. The Moodle Doc for this is: https://docs.moodle.org/402/en/Course_meta_link one editable course with several different enrolled classes. You can also introduce common testing as well, without students realizing they are all using the same course.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Nigel King -
Much thanks. I will look into it..