'Exit book' functionality on last page of Book module

'Exit book' functionality on last page of Book module

by Tim Boniface -
Number of replies: 6
In the book module in Moodle 3.8, when on the last page of the book, there is an 'exit book' arrow that replaces the next page arrow that takes you back to the course (as seen below.

However, in Moodle 4 and above it does not have this 'Exit book' functionality.

Any reasons why?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Boniface

Re: 'Exit book' functionality on last page of Book module

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Tim. I am not sure of the reasons why the Exit option was removed, although I suppose it is in line with other activities and their navigation. You can either go back to the main course page from the Course index on the left or by clicking the short name of the course next to the Book title. If you find that others agree it would be good to have the Exit option returned, you could make a tracker issue suggesting it?
In reply to Tim Boniface

by audrey rippingale -
I so agree - this is driving me crazy - students and lecturers are not loving it either.

Could this perhaps be a selectable option not knowing the reason why it was removed (alng with turnng off the description on EVERY chapter)
smile
In reply to audrey rippingale

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hello,
I currently upgrade to 4.3.3 and discovered that Book Activity issue. There are two Moodle Trackers, MDL-80864 and MDL-78535.
Your workaround until this is fixed, would be to select the Activity Completion for the Book Activity.

This is my contribution to the tracker - I suggest voting for the issue - without votes they will probably close it again.

This morning, I firsthand discovered how frustrating as a student this issue is, as an annual course was due for retraining. All of my courses have restrictions on the quiz activity, to not show the quiz until the content has been reviewed. 
If the student returns to the Course Page via the breadcrumbs, attempt to select the quiz link results in “Sorry, this activity is currently hidden.”
When the Student reaches the last page of the book activity, The left top of the page displays the Done confirmation, but they do not receive the link to the next activity. The Activity Completion Report and the course Logs never display the Activity Completion status.
I am now forced to manually select the Activity Completion for individual students so they can proceed.
The Exit icon, trigger the activity completion. Removing the functionality for "aesthetics" is impossible for me to comprehend as I have 120 courses with the Book activity. This need attention now. 
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi everyone,
I seldom have extra time for other projects, but since I still use a LOT of books, today at lunch I came up with an easy fix for this that gives me back an, Exit book, button that takes me back to the course. It takes you back to the top of the course. Tomorrow I will see if I can make it stay at the same section of the course, but I just ran out of time today. I placed a copy of my modification in the MDL-78535 tracker ticket.
In reply to AL Rachels

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Might need to open another tracker ticket for courses with URL activity. Same issue, not setting the view the url as a completion.
Should have stayed on 3.11+
In reply to AL Rachels

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Al's fix totally worked! Thank you so very much.
Kind Regards,
shirley