Customcert requiredtime doesn't work

Customcert requiredtime doesn't work

by JUAN HERNANDEZ -
Number of replies: 6
Hi!

I have installed Customcert and i am tryind to stablish a required time in the course rule.

I have type 1200 into the field "requiredtime", because I want that people have to be 20 hours connected to the course before they can download de certificate.

But I have many students that have downloaded the certificate with less than 20 hours.

I don't know if I have to configure another parameter else.

Tank you for your answer.
Attachment Opciones certificado.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to JUAN HERNANDEZ

Re: Customcert requiredtime doesn't work

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The issue here is that it looks at logs and takes a guess at how much time was spent on the course - it's not entirely accurate unfortunately. Are you saying that they were drastically below 20 hours and got it, or were in that ball park?
In reply to Mark Nelson

by JUAN HERNANDEZ -
Hi!. The student we are talking about were connected to the course around 8 hours (according to the block-dedication plugin). I think that drastically bellow.
In reply to JUAN HERNANDEZ

by Mark Nelson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I will have to look at the code in the block_dedication plugin to see how it works out the time spent on a course.
In reply to Mark Nelson

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The criteria as as described on the plugin are as follows.
  • Click: every time that a user access to a page in Moodle a log entry is stored.
  • Session: set of two or more consecutive clicks in which the elapsed time between every pair of consecutive clicks does not overcome an established maximum time.
  • Session duration: elapsed time between the first and the last click of the session.
I suspect this means the accuracy will depend significantly on the structure of the material in a course and also how students approach it. You might have students who have a habit of clicking on something then staring out the window for a few minutes, or huge blocks of text  and that would potentially make the results would vary significantly.

In reply to Marcus Green

by Mark Nelson -
As Marcus has stated it isn't an exact science, it basically tries to guess from the logs. Marcus was your summary for block_dedication or this plugin? Thanks.
In reply to Mark Nelson

by JUAN HERNANDEZ -
Hi. Is there any solution to this issue?. Could you see how works the session_time in the block_dedication? We know that it is not an exact science but, in my opinion, if we have a difference over the 60%, is probably an error in the way we obtain the time.