Feature request: Manual completion toggle without course page reload

Feature request: Manual completion toggle without course page reload

by Philipp Memmel -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Dear community,

moodle is often being used to create courses which students can work through by themselves. In many cases it works like this:
  • Student completes an activity (this can be an online or offline activity!), for offline activities this often is just a "text and media" activity shown directly in the course page.
  • Student clicks "Mark as done"
  • Next activity will reveal itself (because it has been configured like that by "Restrict access")
  • This activity as well will be completed by the student
  • Student again marks it as "done"
  • The next activity will reveal itself
  • and so on...
Unfortunately, by designing a course like this the following thing happens: Whenever a student marks an activity as completed the course page reloads completely. Since the course and course format reworks in moodle 4.0, activities are being able to be loaded via webservices, so it should be easily doable to only load the new activities (or sections) and render it in the course page where neccessary instead of reloading the course page completely.

Especially in some course formats the current behavior is really annoying, for example in format_tiles: Clicking the "Mark as done" button reloads the page, the animation starts, the section slowly opens and (only if you're lucky) the browser MIGHT scroll to the place where you clicked the "Mark as done" button - or not. This is really not ideal from a UX perspective.

I raised an issue in the Moodle Tracker for that: MDL-78150

Comments and upvotes very welcome!

P.S.: I tried to search the forums if this has been raised before, but could not find anything related.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Philipp Memmel

Re: Feature request: Manual completion toggle without course page reload

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Philipp,

Interesting and worth looking to see how things currently work, and how perhaps it could be solved. Doable, I think it is, easy I think it is not.

G
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Philipp Memmel

by Bob Gilmore -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
This looks to be coming in 4.3. the new completion widget when make as complete is set just updates itself without a reload. If you don't have access to a 4.3 beta, check out qa.moodledemo.net
In reply to Bob Gilmore

by Philipp Memmel -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi Bob,

thank you for your response. I just tried to verify what you wrote on latest master and I cannot observe that this has been implemented. When I click the "mark as done" button, the page still reloads.

Please note that the page only reloads if there are dependencies defined between activities. The page will not reload if I am just marking some activity as done. But it will, as soon another activity depends on the activity completion of the first one, for example if the second activity has set "Restrict access" to "Activity 1 has been completed" and I mark "Activity 1" as done.