Glossary not auto-linking in Moodle Cloud 4.0

Glossary not auto-linking in Moodle Cloud 4.0

by Carolyn Blackwell -
Number of replies: 5
The glossary (type main) doesn't seem to autolink to any terms throughout the course, whether in book content, or in activities.

I have checked the plugin filter> it is set to glossary autolinking ON, apply to CONTENT

I have checked the plugin glossary> unchecked automatically link glossary entries Default: NO

I have manually checked the box under the term itself, under autolinking, this entry should be automatically linked

I have cleared caches

I still can't see any linking to the terms I've set up. I've tried this both with the glossary hidden (which is how we'd like it to be initially) and with it unhidden, it makes no difference.

I have three extra questions - 
1. Can you apply autolinking just within the same course (as opposed to site wide)?
2. How do you set the glossary to be read only for students with Moodle 4.0?
3. Can you manually link terms (so choose to manually link particular instances of a term within the course to the glossary?)

Many thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Carolyn Blackwell

Re: Glossary not auto-linking in Moodle Cloud 4.0

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Carolyn,

It sounds as though you've done things correctly, making sure that the Glossary auto-linking filter is on and ticking the checkbox 'This entry should be automatically linked'.

Please note though that auto-linking won't work for students if they can't access the glossary, for example if it is hidden, or if there are any other access restrictions.

Also, the Glossary auto-linking filter needs to be on elsewhere in the course. It can be turned off for particular activities, for example often teachers turn the Glossary auto-linking filter off in quizzes.

To answer your extra questions

1. Unless the glossary is global, auto-linking will just be within the same course as the glossary.
  2. Please see the forum post Re: How to make Glossary READ ONLY for students.
  3. If you wish, you can also manually link a term using the glossary entry link.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Carolyn Blackwell -
Ah thank you, yes we had the glossary hidden as it wasn't complete and we wanted to use it to highlight certain word definitions within the text (rather than as a resource itself as it's only a partial resource now).

I had seen the forum post Re: How to make Glossary READ ONLY for students. but I couldn't quite follow it as it is for Moodle 2.0 and things don't look like that in my Moodle Cloud 4.0. I couldn't find where to edit the glossary's permissions.

If you manually link a term, will it work if the glossary is hidden?

Thanks, Carolyn

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Apologies for the forum post being difficult to follow. In Moodle 4.0 from the More menu, select Permissions, then for the Create new entries capability (mod/glossary:write) delete the Student role (as shown in the following screenshot):

If you manually link a term, students will see the link but if they try to follow it they'll see a message saying that the activity is hidden (or similar).

In reply to Helen Foster

by Carolyn Blackwell -
Wonderful thank you that is so clear. All set now. 

I couldn't find the glossary entry link to add it manually. Is it literally "add link" then insert the URL for that particular glossary term? So it doesn't do the ? and pop up box with the term meaning then? It simply takes you to the glossary page?

Is there a way to choose which entries have the pop up box version? I just find the blue shading across in page headers and content for every instance of the term quite distracting, but I still would like for some of them to be like that and when you click on them it shows the pop up box.

Any suggestions?

Re: Glossary auto-linking

by Helen Foster -

You are correct in saying that if you link to a glossary entry manually, it takes you to the glossary page rather than showing it in a popup.

You can have less glossary auto-linking and not link to every instance of a term by enabling 'Filter match once per page' or 'Filter match once per text' in Site administration > Plugins > Common filter settings.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)