What shall I backup in Moodle?

What shall I backup in Moodle?

by Ollie Curtis -
Number of replies: 2

Morning,

I was just wondering what I should be backing up in Moodle.  I am running Moodle 1.5.3 with php 5 and Mysql 4 and Apache 2, on a Windows Server 2003 environment.  I am currently only backing up Moodle data.  I know i should backup other parts of Moodle, what do you recommend.  I do not want to backup everything as it will just take too much space!  Also, how often do you recommend backing up?  I am currently backing up Moodle data once a week.

Thank you very much in advance,

Ollie Curtis

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ollie Curtis

Re: What shall I backup in Moodle?

by Steve Hyndman -
You should also backup your database. That's about it. Of course if you have any hacks or add-ons, you may want to keep a copy of that code somewhere, but all of your "data" will be stored in moodledata and the database, so if you have those backed-up then you should be able to recover from any problems.

How often to backup? That depends...I backup daily/weekly/monthly, (actually my server does it for me).

Think of it this way...you can only restore from your latest backup, so if your latest backup was six months ago, then that is what you have available if you need to recover data.

Steve
In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: What shall I backup in Moodle?

by Ollie Curtis -

Hi Steve,

Thanks very much for your quick reply.  It is of great help.

Many thanks,

Ollie Curtis