Database activity module: translation of field labels and other metadata.

Database activity module: translation of field labels and other metadata.

by Petros Kanenas -
Number of replies: 5

Current behaviour: 

When I switch languages while performing Database Activity, field labels do not translate. See screenshots.

Desired behaviour:

When I switch languages, field labels translate accordingly.

Comment:

I am looking for a way to have field labels (and other activity-specific metadata) translated to the language of the interface. I searched community resources but did not find anything relevant. Please kindly point me in a proper direction to find a solution.

Attachment DB Activity English.png
Attachment DB Activity Polish version.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Petros Kanenas

Re: Database activity module: translation of field labels and other metadata.

by Richard Samson -

Hi!

I haven't tested this but it looks like the three strings you refer to have not been translated yet in the Polish language pack so Moodle shows the English strings instead.

You can translate the strings locally by editing your installed Polish language pack, looking for the strings in question and translating them yourself.

You can find information on this and related processes at:

https://docs.moodle.org/401/en/Language_customisation

I hope this helps.

In reply to Richard Samson

Er: Re: Database activity module: translation of field labels and other metadata.

by Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai -

Hi Petros,

It could be what Richard said, but been the database module I think the problem is that database field names aren't multilingual (they have fixed names), and therefore they aren't available for translation in AMOS and won't change when the user changes the language.

A possible workaround would be to make those fields multilanguage-filter friendly, and there is an open issue for allowing filters to be applied to those kind of fields of the database module (MDL-58680) that would allow that if it eventually gets fixed.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Iñigo Zendegi Urzelai

Re: Er: Re: Database activity module: translation of field labels and other metadata.

by Richard Samson -
Thanks, Iñigo.

It seems that I was wrong. It would be nice if the simple answer was the right one!

by Sabina Abellan -
Picture of Moodle HQ team
Hi Petros,

Many thanks for raising this issue. We are aware of it and we did some technical research around. We opened an issue (MDL-75565) to tackle it and we're going to add it to our backlog to try to solve it for the next 4.3 release. 

Cheers,
Sabina
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Sabina Abellan -
Picture of Moodle HQ team
Hi again Petros,

I had a chat with the rest of the team about this and it's more complicated than it looks. The issue I mentioned in my previous comment is about Database presets, not fields, and from a technical perspective making the fields' name multilang is more complicated than doing so with the Presets. So we've created a new issue (MDL-77787) to investigate the technical possibilities we have for fields and see how can we solve this.  

As I mentioned in my previous comment, we'll try to work on this for the 4.3 release. 

Many thanks,
Sabina
Average of ratings: Useful (1)