Setting a deadline for multiple activities

Setting a deadline for multiple activities

by Velson Horie -
Number of replies: 1

My course has 4 monthly Parts, each of which has a deadline at the end of the month. Each Part has both quizzes and assignments ca.9 in each. The course runs 3 times a year.

I should like to set the 4 separate deadlines for each Part at the start of each interation of the course.  E.g. for the course starting 12th January, deadlines for Parts 1, 2, 3, 4 at 12th February, 12th March, 12th April, 12th May, respectively, at midnight.  At the moment, I can do this only activity by activity.  It is currently not possible to define that submissions are reviewable after a quiz is closed until the quiz is first closed, i.e. after the deadline has passed.

There are a couple (or more?) potential methods.

Set up the "master" course with the separate deadlines for each Part after 1, 2, 3, 4 elapsed months from the starting date, which is chosen when the iteration is activated.

Or less efficiently when the course has been made available to students, bulk edit the deadlines of each activity in a Part to the appropriate date and time.

Are either of these possibilities available for Moodle 3.9?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Velson Horie

Re: Setting a deadline for multiple activities

by Christophe Coussement -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

The "Subcourse" plugin can help you organize your course into separate Parts while managing deadlines more efficiently. With this plugin, you can create a "master" course for each Part, and then link them as subcourses in a main course. The deadlines for each Part can be managed individually within their respective "master" courses. Here's how to set it up:

1. Install and enable the Subcourse plugin in your Moodle site if you haven't already. You can download it from the Moodle plugin directory: https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_subcourse
  2. Create a "master" course for each Part of your main course (4 courses in total).
  3. Set deadlines for activities within each "master" course. You can use either the "Restrict access" method or the "Dates report" method described in the previous answer to set deadlines more efficiently.
  4. Create your main course where students will enroll, and divide it into 4 sections corresponding to the 4 Parts.
  5. In each section of the main course, add a Subcourse activity and link it to the corresponding part
  6. Repeat step 5 for all 4 Parts.

Now, when you start a new iteration of the course, you only need to update the deadlines in the respective "master" courses. The main course will automatically reflect these changes, as it pulls the content and deadlines from the linked subcourses.

Note that the Subcourse plugin only helps in organizing the course structure and linking content and deadlines. It does not provide a direct way to set deadlines based on a variable starting date. You still need to manually update the deadlines in the "master" courses for each iteration.

HTH

Average of ratings: Useful (2)