Recommended setup for maxima - goemaxima or maximapool?

Re: Recommended setup for maxima - v5.41.0 or v5.44.0 (with goemaxima)

by Frauke Sprengel -
Number of replies: 4

At the moment, questions using "cartesian product" do not work with STACK and Maxima 5.44.

Best wishes

Frauke

In reply to Frauke Sprengel

by Stuart Anderson -
Great thanks, very helpful.

So I think that answers my question about what I need to do. For me to have an image which uses STACK question version 4.4.2 and runs with Maxima 5.41.0 (to ensure maximum compatibility with our current question banks), then I'm going to need to build my own docker image as that combination isn't available on docker hub.

Best wishes,
Stuart
In reply to Frauke Sprengel

by Stuart Anderson -
Just noticed in the github respository there is a comment about this (https://github.com/mathinstitut/goemaxima/tree/master/stack) committed 5 days ago:

"backport cartesian-product fix for 5.44 maxima version
The redifinition of cartesian-product is incompatible with newer
maxima versions. Since setting the maxima version to an older
version would technically be a breaking change, the fix is
backported to all older versions where maxima 5.44 is used instead.

The changes should also work with older maxima versions."

Can someone reassure me that using 5.44 with this patch won't lead to any unforeseen issues or am I still best to do my own image build with 5.41?  Sorry, I maintain a moodle-STACK install, but am just not familar with maxima.
In reply to Stuart Anderson

by Lennart Kramer -
goemaxima maintainer here (sorry for the late response, I did not see this post before)
I probably was a bit too hasty with setting 5.44 as the maxima version. The stack documentations mentions that the version is supported, but it's just not as well-tested.
However as implied by the commit, I'm not really comfortable just downgrading the maxima version as that might be an unexpected breaking change for existing users (I could probably still be persuaded otherwise if other issues spring up).
If you're OK with building your own image, using 5.41 is probably the safest choice. cartesian_product certainly works with the patch and I have personally not run into any other issues with 5.44 though.
In reply to Lennart Kramer

by Stuart Anderson -
Thanks Lennart. It should be OK for me to do my own build. I've now had a new VM with ubuntu, Docker and Go setup for me and hope to try out running the goemaxima setup soonish. If i experienece problems I can't resolve myself, no doubt I'll be back here seeking advice.

Thanks,

Stuart