K12 Math on Moodlecloud?

K12 Math on Moodlecloud?

by juha Anttila -
Number of replies: 7

7 years ago I made some math courses on Moodle. I liked the generating abilty.
Now I am starting from scratch. On a MoodleCloud I have not seen anything that resembles mathematical quiz generation. Everyone here talks about STACK. Another game changer would be WIRIS. Can I have those (or other K12 math) plugins on Moodlecloud so that I could produce something else than multiple choices (those I can do on MS/ G  forms). 
Or do I have to buy hosting service. How much is the cheapest hosting service - about 100 €/ annum or 300€ /annum?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to juha Anttila

Re: K12 Math on Moodlecloud?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I pay $USD12 a month for basic hosting for an installation of Moodle for my personal playground, but I am a developer who knows how to administer it. MoodleCloud is unlikely to support any of those 3rd party plugins because of the increased support requirements. If you do get your own hosting it is worth looking at the formulas plugin, which does not require the same level of setup as STACK, though STACK is the ultimate in Moodle maths question type. The formulas question type has probably the best demonstration site of any Moodle plugin, it can be seen here
https://dynamiccourseware.org/
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

Sv: Re: K12 Math on Moodlecloud?

by juha Anttila -
Tnx 4 answer. This seems to be much more complicated issue than I thought. I only want generated questions automatically graded. I do not care att all what the plugin is (or any). I also hope I could find a course/ tutorial about making mathematical questions.
Do you have suggestions where to start.
In reply to juha Anttila

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I'm no Maths expert (my weakest subject at school) but I was wondering what you wanted to do that you can't do with the various question types on MoodleCloud eg Numerical, Calculated, Calculated Multichoice, Calculated simple - (and optionally the Equatin editor)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Sv: Re: K12 Math on Moodlecloud?

by juha Anttila -
Thanks for your answer. You might be 95% correct. So thanks for those "numerical, calculated..." I have not hear about them. I started couple of courses which seem to be made for multiple answers.
The lacking 5% is GENERATING guestions which means every student has unique questions.
In reply to juha Anttila

Re: Sv: Re: K12 Math on Moodlecloud?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In case you haven't seen it, here is the list of standard question types in Moodle (which you will have in your MoodleCloud site) 

I am sure there is a maths question type that generates different questions for each user - but I will demur to the experts in this forum to tell you more.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Sv: Re: K12 Math on Moodlecloud?

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

In the lower grades one can do quite a lot by combining the numerical question type with the random question type. When creating a quiz, first create one question category for each kind of numerical question you want to ask. In each category create multiple variants of that type of question. You may do this by creating one question copying it and editing the numerical values in it. Then when editing the quiz click add a random question and select the category. When a student attempts the quiz, Moodle will select one of the varients at random so each attempt appears to have different questions.
SLACK, formula, and calculated question types each do something like this automatically for you. However, it is easier to understand if you try it manually first. SLACK and formula questions are especially helpful for upper grades where you need students to enter algebraic responses instead of numbers and check whether they satisfy several different conditions.

In reply to juha Anttila

by Josh Lim -
Hi Juha

Going back to your original post asking about options - you might also consider NUMBAS. This is open source project lets you create write questions (or browse/edit from a large public question bank) - you then download an exam package as a SCORM object activity that you can put into Moodle for students to attempt.

Here is a quick comparison compared of NUMBAS to the other built-in Moodle maths Quiz questions and STACK question type. This is off the top of my head (sorry it's not well ordered and it's just an opinion and not definitive/comprehensive by any means (especially subjective comments I've indicated with an asterisk *)!

Feature Moodle Quiz Activity - maths question types STACK question type NUMBAS
Support error carried forward marking (incorrect previous answer can be used later for credit) No Yes Yes
Support for units Yes (although a little clunky*) Yes Yes
Support for algebraic expressions No (string matching only) Yes Yes
 Support for randomised question variables  Yes (creates multiple copies of a question).
Question variants appear in the same order in the Quiz and can't be shuffled (as each question variant need to be organised into a category).  
Yes   Yes
 Support for adding worked solution feedback with the random question variables  No (although this could be added programmatically via GIFT import)  Yes  Yes
 Reporting
 Yes Yes   Limited (SCORM reports are unpleasant to read)
 Regrading  Yes  Yes   No (actually, this is possible if you host questions on server and link via LTI, but not via the simple SCORM activity route) 
 Writing questions*  Easiest*  Hardest (uses maxima syntax)
Public question banks are available (e.g. Domain)*
 Tricky* (uses JME syntax)
Questions are written on numbas.mathcentre.ac.uk (need to create a free account) - where you can browse other peoples' questions
 Writing custom feedback based on student response  Limited  Yes  Yes, but somewhat tricky at the moment*!

Average of ratings: Useful (2)