Negative value for a question

Negative value for a question

by Ona Marox -
Number of replies: 2

Hello!

I need to make a personality questionnaire with a negative value for a question. For example:

In order to measure communication skills we've made up:
A) a group of questions that bring points for communication skills;
B) a group of questions that remove points for communication skills — so called, negative, or reverse questions.

Positive Question: 
I have many friends. True (+1 point) False (0)

Negative Question: 
I shout at people. True (-1 point) False (0)

Negative questions are quite common in many personality quizzes, and we need to build several using Questionnaire plugin. 
How can we put negative value to a question? 

Thanks for an answer.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ona Marox

Re: Negative value for a question

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ona,

Again it would be helpful if you provided more data, not just 2 examples... Anyway, here's my solution.

As you have noticed, you can't enter negative values in the Questionnaire questions. But entering 1 and 0 values should work OK.

Use Radio Button questions

Question 1: I have many friends. Possible answers: 1=True / 0=False
Question 4: I shout at people. Possible answers: 0=True / 1=False

In the Feedback options, select Global Feedback & Bipolar graph. My screenshot below shows that I have added a couple of explanatory messages in the Feedback Global section. Note, depending on if your questions are divided into several "categories" you might want to use Feedback sections rather than Global Feedback, but again using 1 and 0 values should work exactly the same as if you could enter +1 and -1 values. The only point which might be debatable is having the positive values/green bar on the left and the red one on the right, as has been mentioned with Marina in this discussion. I plan to discuss this in another discussion on this forum.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Negative value for a question

by Ona Marox -

Hi Joseph,

Thank you very much for the solution — I think it will work in my case.